» fanfiction tropes & cliches

—DO YOU REALLY HATE THESE TROPES?—
-comment your opinion on each!-

1. THE CHOSEN ONE
I feel like sometimes this is necessary in fanfiction but RARELY written well enough.
The 'chosen one' protagonist is always plain and boring.
I feel if authors are going to use this trope, they need to make the OC interesting and fun to read about.

2. LOVE TRIANGLES
Hate hate hate!
Mostly it is written soooo badly (ex: fallen, twilight, & TVD)
Simply because one of the love interests is much better than the other. If that happens, the love triangle turns utterly boring because the right choice is obvious. There are some times though were it is reallly good (the infernal devices wjsjdhhs)

3. ROMANTICALLY PAIRED CAST
Okay, so, I don't mind if theres a large group of cast and two pairs are romantically involved. But I get pretty pissed when there are for example, six main characters in a story, and three of them are paired with the other. It then feels so forced, especially when they all fall in love at the same time.

4. ABSENT PARENTS IN FANFICTION
I'm guilty of this. Vey guilty. As in, almost-all-my-fanfictions guilty. It is mostly because (especially in my fantasy books) there is no time to write the parents. And killing them off is the much easier option to me. I know this bothers a lot of people but personally I don't mind it when I read fanfictions.

5. INSTANT LOVE
GOD I HATE THIS ONE TOO MUCH! Personally, I am a huge fan of the good old slow burn (preferably hate to love) relationship. Because it keeps me involved and interested in the story! But with instant love regularly its too dull for my liking.

6. STEREOTYPES
hate hate hate!
When will 'dumb blonde' 'sassy black girl' 'nerdy asian' or 'dumb jock' die out?
Or how in fanfictions and books their fictional school is stereotypical and divided into the 'populars' 'nerds' 'geeks' and so on. I don't know about you, but I have never met a group of friends with the exact same character traits.

7. LETTING OUT A BREATH YOU DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE HOLDING
need I say more?

annnnnd that was it!!!! (part 2 coming soon)

A YA CLICHE OR TROPE IN FANFICTION THAT YOU HATE?