Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three: Beginning Battles

"The marks humans leave are too often scars." -John Green.

-

 "What took you so long?" Captain Rogers asks me as I land next to him on the bridge.

 "That idiot Aldon held Alex and I at gunpoint," I reply as I shoot repulsor beams at the incoming Titans, "Sorry for the delay."

 "Did he and Agent Coulson get out of here safely?" Captain America fires his gun into the massive hoard of aliens.

 "I'm pretty sure they did," I answer as we stand against the Titans.

 "Good, at least Coulson survived long enough to be alive for the beginning of this battle this time," He chortles as he tosses his shield at a few stragglers.

 I do not have time to ask Steve what he means by his comment as Tony chimes in my earpiece, "Monica, we need help over here."

 "I thought Thor and Romanoff were with you?" I struggle to keep track of where all of the Avengers are, for the plan is constantly changing.

 "They went to find Thanos, and there's a lot of strays getting past me to go deeper into the city," Tony sounds winded.

 "I can't just leave-" I was going to say I cannot leave Captain Rogers here to defend himself, but a big, green, bulky person roars as he lands on the bridge. Hulk does not hesitate to punch out any Titan, thus changing my original answer, "I'm on my way."

 I shoot myself into the darkening sky, leaving the Hulk and Captain Rogers together on the bridge. The city is brightly illuminated all around the island, looking eerily peaceful compared to the warzone of an island. I see below me figures and shadows of Titans trying to get off of the island and terrorize the city. A blockade of the German police force and the flashing blue lights of their vehicles come speeding down the roads towards the bridges. Tony becomes a visible speck on the other side of the island as I fly towards him. Fiery orange explosions boom underneath him as he fires missiles at the Titans. I look below me as I cross over the island, hoping to see Agent Romanoff and Thor. Disappointingly, even Lucis cannot pinpoint their location.

 "Took you long enough for a suit that can fly faster to five hundred miles an hour," Tony remarks as I land on the ground below him.

 "Are they swimming across?" My eyes widen at the sight of the creatures in the water, struggling to wade or paddle to the opposite shore.

 "Now you see why I needed your help so desperately?" Tony responds in a humorous tone.

 "I guess this means we're on perimeter duty?" I fire a few missiles at the aliens in the water.

 "You take the eastern side and I'll take the west," Tony instructs me, "Tell me if you need help."

 "Got it," I nod once before we split up.

 As I fly across to the other side, I target many Titanians scattered under me. Little explosions decorate the strip below me as my missiles find their victims. Tony lets me know that Romanoff and Thor have made their way to the very lowest level of the church in hopes to catch Thanos by surprise. I begin my patrols of the eastern border to help keep the Titans contained. I notice a large group of Titans in the river, trying to get to the other side. There must be at least fifty of them, too many to use missiles on. As I fly over the cluster, I release one of the detonators from the back of my calf. The detonator falls right into the middle of the cluster. I hear the screeching of the dying creatures below me as they are blown out of the water.