↳ TWELVE

THERE WAS A hollow pit of fear churning in Izzy's stomach, albeit she wasn't all too sure whether it was because of the upcoming evening, or the situation she found herself in right now

         THERE WAS A hollow pit of fear churning in Izzy's stomach, albeit she wasn't all too sure whether it was because of the upcoming evening, or the situation she found herself in right now. But, she elected to ignore the brewing worries and made a call to a number that was growing familiar to her, whilst squeezing the wheel of her car tightly and hoping for the best. She had changed from her uniform to a more casual attire, although she felt like anything but casual as she heard the line ringing and echoing throughout the car due to the speaker. Before Izzy could regret her decision, though, a groggy voice spoke in slight annoyance, blasting in the car.

          "Hello?", Benjamin sounded positively like he had just woken up, and the fact that it didn't even surprise Isadora caused her to chuckle while her grip on the wheel loosened and she felt a wave of calmness wash over her.

          "Did you just wake up? At 4 PM?", Izzy's grin stretched across her face, "I'm jealous." On the other side of the line, she could hear Benji shuffling through his sheets and letting out a big yawn that took up several seconds of their call before the man actually spoke up.

          "Izzy? 4 PM? Okay—uh, in my defense... I didn't know it was 4 PM. What—what's going on?", the poor guy was trying to shake off the shreds of sleep still weighing down on his consciousness, and for the sake of not feeling bad, Isadora tried to contain his smile as she curved over to the right street and pondered on what to answer — well, obviously the truth, so perhaps it was more of how to answer. She didn't want to appear desperate or helpless, but there might have been a grain of truth in both of those words.

          As Izzy licked her lips, her pale hands subconsciously clenched around the leather of the wheel again. "I was invited to Lux, uh, and I don't wanna go alone?", she tasted the words carefully, before electing to rip off the band-aid and continue with, "I know it's weird, but the whole place is kind of intimidating, and Maze—", but instead of giving her the opportunity to finish, the youngest Espinoza had already intervened while, concluding from the background sounds, pulling his jeans up.

          "Who's Maze?", was his simple question, yet the mention of her crush had Izzy's cheeks reddening in a matter of seconds.

          "Oh, Mazikeen— she's Lucifer's, umm... well, demon bartender, apparently. So, are you coming or not? I bought you coffee and a sandwich, for what it's worth", she was quick to steer the conversation away from Maze, fearing a car crash if she were to get so distracted with the thought of the woman. With a simple glance to the seat next to hers, Izzy confirmed that the substitute of a dinner she had gotten Benjamin still sat there, and at the sight of a paper bag, she pursed her lips in a satisfied smile, sure that it would convince Benjamin if he happened to have any second thoughts.

          But, that was not Benji's style.

          "Of course I'll come with you. Where are you?"