seventy-three

Grace

I pushed aside the curtain to look out of the window of Harry's living room. Since it was already past 10am, the sun was in the sky, slightly warming up the air in the streets and making the glass between me and the city shine. I smiled lightly to myself and pushed the curtain completely out of the way to enlighten the room, a sense of peace that I hadn't felt in quite a while pervading me as I thought of the events of the day before. Even though the nagging feeling that it wouldn't have been over quite yet wouldn't leave the back of my mind, I had already started to feel as if everything, slowly, was falling back into the right place. More than falling back, just falling into a new, better order. I hadn't really known normal since I had started dating Harry, given that we had had someone run after us - after him - since the start, and I had a feeling that Harry himself hadn't for quite a while as well.

I slightly moved my head to the side as I heard the mattress creak in the other room, and the faint sound of steps on the wooden floor. I went back to looking out of the window when I realised he wasn't coming my way, and I put my hand over the handle to open it to allow the cold air inside.

"I wouldn't do it if I were you" a deep voice said from the other side of the room, "I know there's the sun outside, but it's cold."

I smiled slightly as he walked towards me, not turning around to look at him.

He pulled a lock of my dark hair back, uncovering my neck. "I have something for you" he murmured into my ear, as one of his arms sneaked around my waist. "I know you've given Gemma her keys to my house back. I also know we've been living together for quite a while, so it might not have the same meaning now, but you know, I just wanted to make it official."

I widened my eyes as his other hand came from behind me, a key between his index and middle finger.

"This is a copy of the key to my house. Your copy. I had it made a few days ago" he whispered, and I turned my head to look at him.

"Thank you" I said faintly, pressing a kiss to his jawline, and he smiled.

He twirled it between his fingers before offering it to me. "Here."

I took it and I turned around to hug him properly. "It has the same meaning" I whispered into his ear. "So thank you."

He reached out to pull the curtain over the window, hiding the inside of the room from the world. "Have any plans for today?"

I shrugged. "I should meet up with Gemma later today, you know, talk about the wedding and such."

"That sounds nice I suppose. Now that you're mentioning Gemma, I remembered I wanted to tell you I think I'm ready to read... you know. I don't know if I'm really ready, I might chicken out before, but I want to try, at least. I don't think I'll ever be completely ready for that, so it doesn't really matter if I do it today or in three months, does it?" He said, and I smiled at his rambling.

"Whenever you want to, Harry." I hugged him tighter just before letting go and walking to the kitchen to start getting our breakfast ready.

He followed me into the kitchen and opened one of his cupboards. "Will you be there with me?"

"Do you want me to?" I asked him, turning around and leaning against the cooker.

"I don't think I can do it alone" he replied honestly, stopping his actions as well and glancing at me.

I nodded slightly. "Then sure. Whenever you want to, I'm here."

He gave me a little smile. "Thank you so much. I... I just want you to know that I'm trying. I mean, I really am. I know it doesn't really look like it, but I am."