<-10->

<-I-L-A-<<<
"Dream car?" He asked as we got onto the highway.

"Yes." I answered, "I always wanted one but with a red leather interior."

Matteo nodded, agreeing with my taste.

"Aren't you a Doctor?" He asked, referring to my salary.

"Yeah, but I'm sort of broke at the moment. I graduated last year and still have a lot of loans to pay off from medical school."

"What borrowing money from your parents?" He questioned as he punched in the address into the GPS.

"Please follow the highlighted route." It said. "Turn left in 1.5 miles."

"I'm really independent," I said as I turned left, following the instructions. "My parents are all the way in California, along with my brother. Paying for two kids that went to expensive colleges was more than I can ask for."

>>>-M-A-T-T-E-O->
"You're here in New York all by yourself?" I asked. If her family is all the way on the other side of America, then who is she staying with? An Aunt? A friend? Boyfriend?

"Yeah." She said as she stayed focus on the road, "When I was in college, my grandma lived here until she passed away at Grand Oak Hospital. That's the reason why I wanted to work at that hospital."

Her face expression changed drastically. Her bright smile disappeared and her vibe lessened. Instantly, I felt bad since it was me who cost Ila her job.

Quick to change the mood, she asked, "Where are we going?"

She glanced at the address I punched in.

"I live around there. Is it okay if we stop by afterward? I want to talk to my landlord."

"Sure."

<-I-L-A-<<<
The car ride wasn't entirely silent. Right as the conversation died between us, I decided to turn on the radio to listen to music. As I drove and hummed along to the songs, I've felt somewhat comfortable with Matteo who had his eyes glued to his phone.

I glanced at him. He's been frowning as he tapped on the screen. Curious, I strained my eyes to see what's on the screen.

"Eyes on the road, Ila." He said, monotoned. Matteo didn't even look up from his phone.

Immediately, I changed my gaze from the phone to the road. I felt my face heat up, embarrassed that I had been caught trying to snoop.

"Sorry," I said. "Is everything fine?"

"Swell." He coldly said as he shut off his device.

Just because curiosity got the better of me, I had missed our exit. I looked at the GPS and it started to highlight a new route. I suddenly got curious about something else.

"Matteo?" I asked.

"What?" he sighed.

"Why am I driving?" I questioned, cautiously, "Is it because you trust me?"