Chapter 1 - Crossing pathways

Hello, my dears!

So this is it - the very first chapter of the Monarch. Please note that this story describes events that are chronologically happening after the end of book 1 - The Change and many of the characters had already appeared in the first book. Therefore you are strongly encouraged to read the first book before reading this. It will make a lot more sense if you follow the books than trying to jump in the action "right away". Although I would do try to repeat and refer to events in general terms, you will understand a lot of the references if you had read the first book.

So there, you have been warned!

Any creative criticism will be taken in consideration. I really appreciate your input. Also, I do tend to leave hints on what I am planning to do with the next couple of chapters while replying to some of the messages (usually I stick around and reply to as many as I can on the same day that I post). If you want to talk to me - write me a personal message. I am not always able to respond to every single one. Sorry.

Oh, and yip, Nessa and Alphalicious (aka Marcus) are going to be featured into the later chapters of the story. Remember Jon will have to go and relief Marcus of his duties as an Interim Monarch. So you will know what Nessa and her hulky mate have been up to. No more spoiler alerts (for now).

Hope you will enjoy this book!
Love y'all.
xoxo,
SteamyHot

*** the chapters after the first few are set on private. The full book is on Wattpad but you have to be a follower to read. Troubleshooting not seeing the chapters (unfollow me, delete book, follow me and add the book)***
****

Chapter 1 - Crossing pathways

dedicated to @WarriorWriter whose "Under the Heat" is one of my all time favorite stories. Can't wait for the sequel!

****

Avery

The small cottage was engulfed by shrouds of white snow that kept on falling from the grey sky. At first the snowflakes melted into the ground, producing a mist that circled around the low bushes and covered the bases of the trees. Then the frozen crystals gently stuck to the ground, scattered and shining as pearls. Later on, the emerging pearls adhered to one another, producing a crisp crust that served as the base of the shrouds that later on surrounded everything that eyes could see.

Beautiful, pure whiteness...

It was as if Avery was transported into a magical setting of one of the books she loved to read. Her fingers nails tapped against the edge of the mug that she was holding. Observing the nature outside only made her wonder how severe would the snowstorm get before it cleared.

Theforecast predicted the snowfall would average two feet with areas up to three feet. That was an obscene amount of snow. In her twenty seven years, Avery could not remember even the murmur of such a harsh winter. There was a certain beauty in the drastic weather changes. For once, she was grateful that she had not left for the city before hearing the forecast. It would be a nightmare to have to drive into the blizzard. If she had to be snowed in, she would rather be indoors with food, electricity and logs at hand than out there, stuck in a car and having barely the fuel to go to town. Avery mentally scolded herself for being lazy and not buying gas when she first passed through the town. Now, it was too late.

Cold was not a problem. As werewolves had higher core temperature, it would take a significant drop in temperature before she had to use the logs to feed the fireplace that was built into the inner wall of the cottage, promising warmth for the entire floor plan.