Chapter 28 - Her Past

Ms.Mikahara looks out the window and takes a deep breath, then she turns to me once more.

"Well, first of all..."

"There's a reason why Rei is uncomfortable with men."

(Right...Miyoko said that she wasn't good with men before, of course, there's bound to be a reason behind it.)

"Mina, did you know that Reimako's parent got divorced?"

"Yeah, she kinda told me..."

"I see..."

"Do you know why they got divorced, then?"

"No...she didn't tell me the reason behind it."

Ms.Mikahara looks at the floor sadly.

"Reimako's parent got divorced...because of her father had an affair."

"Oh..."

Ms.Mikahara gives a little nod before continuing.

"Even though he did have an affair, her dad was apparently a gentleman."

"And even when her mom accused him of having an affair."

"He apologized to her, saying he was sorry that he'd hurt her."

"He bowed her head, promising that there was nothing going on with the woman involved."

Reimako's words on that day linger to me.

"That  was what he said too..."

"He said there wasn't  anything going on with her ..."

(....that's what she meant by that when she said that to me...he was referring to his father.)

  "Rei wanted to believe her dad."

"He was so kind, that she never thought he'd have an affair...she trusted him with all her heart."

"But..."

"Right after that, Rei saw it with her own eyes..."

"She saw definite proof that her dad was having an affair."

A sullen silence envelopes us, as Yomiko and i just quietly listen as  Ms.Mikahara's continues with her revelations.

"She said she saw him walking arm in arm with another woman and even kissing her."

At that moment all the trust she had for her dad must have been shattered. She just felt so betrayed at that time.

When i think about the pain Reimako must have gone through my heart aches'.

"After that, Rei never trusted her dad ever again."

"Even though he'd always been so kind to her."

"Then, when her mom asked her what was wrong she told her...and then her parents got divorced."

Saying this, Ms.Mikahara paused for a moment, looking at me.

"You do know that Rei's mom married Raika's father right?"

"Yes, that's why they become sisters."

"That's right," Ms.Mikahara replied.

"But we've met Rei's father when we're going home right after the festival."

"Oh! Is that so..."

It didn't seem like he was just pretending to be nice, or anything he seems to be genuinely a kind person.

"He greeted us in glee and it seems to be an awkward greeting."

"Yes...that's a given after what he did," replied Ms.Mikahara.

"He reminded Rei of what he did to her."

"So she's never been able to really bring herself to forgive him and trust her again." she continued.

(No wonder she had trust issues.)

"At first, he tried his best to make Rei trust her again, but it didn't work."

"Seeing this, Raika suggested living with her, here in the Famille'."

"Her mom and Raika said that maybe she should live apart from them until she comes to terms with her feelings."

So that's why Rei and Raika is living in Famille' away from her family.

(I see...)

"Because of what she went through with her dad..."

"At some point, Rei ended up being uncomfortable around with all men."

"She's especially cautious of men who are kind to her..."

"I-i see..." (So this is why Reimako is uncomfortable with me...)

The kinder she was treated, the more she was reminded of her cheating dad.

(I can't believe she went something so traumatic...)

"And so..."

"Something must have caused all those memories to come flooding back, and to think she'd been doing great around with you recently."

It was obviously seeing me and Miyoko that had triggered this.

"The kinder you try to be to her, the more she feels unable to trust you..."

"Right now, Reimako probably doesn't know what to do at all."

Then i realize something that i've done earlier, i try to apologize to her win her trust back.

"if i hurt you somehow, i want to apologize, Reimako."

"I'm sorry..." she sullenly replied.

(So that's why..)

I hurt Reimako by saying that too, didn't i..

"I've already said, didn't i..." said Yomiko who's staring at me intently.

"It's because you're here that she feels unhappy!"

"It's better for you to leave this house for Rei's sake!"

"Yuu!!! that's taking it too far!" dejected Ms.Mikahara.

"S-She might be right..."

Both Ms.Mikahara and Yomiko surprised and what i said.

(Now i know what she meant when she said that on the first day we've met.)

Ms.Mikahara turns back to me.

"Anyway, what i just told you is the reason why Rei is like this."

Then, Ms.Mikahara looks at me with a serious expression.

"So Mina, What are you going to do now you know this ?"

I stand there in silence thinking of what iReimako... could do best for what Yomiko had said stand a strong point. As it pains me to say this but Yomiko is right if living here would cause someone pains, the best solution for this is...

"Yomiko present a strong point...i'd be leaving Famille' after all."