5. Director of Perverted Affairs

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has voted so far, here's an extra update ❤️ every vote counts!

~•~

I scramble off him, tying the cloth belt more firmly around my waist. He sits up slowly, pulling the collar of his disheveled robe closed over his bare chest. He looks at me with a hurt expression, like I'd just had my way with him and wasn't planning on taking any responsibility for it. My ears burn like someone had set fire to them. Seriously, if anyone was to walk in right now, they would mistake me for the pervert. 😑

I point a trembling finger at him. "Don't look at me like that!"

He immediately lowers his gaze, and I swear I could see something that resembled glistening tears gathering under his lashes.

"Xiao Jin Zi," he whispers sadly, pressing his fingers to his slightly swollen lips. "You've just taken advantage of me and now you turn your face and deny it. Don't you love me anymore?"

My mouth drops open. Oh my gawwwd! Did my previous identity have a untoward relationship with this- this eunuch?! Was that even possible???

"What are you talking about?" I shriek.

He gasps, pressing the back of his hand to his forehead dramatically. "Is that any way to speak to your new master?"

"Master? I only work for the Director of Palace Affairs."

He looks at me pointedly.

I look back at him. (confusednickyoung.gif)

He continues staring at me, a sly grin spreading across his features.

It suddenly dawns on me...

"Don't tell me you're-"

He nods. "Ru zi ke jiao ye*. I'm Lan Shen Yu, the current Director of Palace Affairs."

(Ru zi ke jiao ye: the child is worth teaching)

"B-but you- you're the one who performed my snipping procedure! The Director wouldn't be responsible for such menial tasks!"

"Then you don't know me very well, do you?" His expression suddenly turns serious and his voice freezes over. "Who are you?"

I laugh nervously. "Aha, ha! I'm X-Xiao Jin Zi. Who else would I be?"

"Hmmmph!" He observes my reaction before turning his scrutinising gaze away from me. "I suppose the shock from the procedure has caused you temporary memory loss. You should know that I would never use anyone I didn't personally take care of."

I nod gratefully at his reasoning. Wait a sec... if he was the one who... then he would have seen... 🙈🙈🙈

So that meant that he knew...

"You saw my body?" I question, my voice wavering.

"Yes," his eyes run over the entire length of my body pervertedly. I immediately cross my arms over my non-existent chest (😭). He stands, making his way towards me. "You can imagine how surprised I was at what I found."

I raise my hand but he catches my wrist before I could slap him.

"Tsk," he berates endearingly, "you wouldn't want to do that, my little ingot."

I fume, trying to wrestle my way out of his grasp. "You knew I was a girl! So why did you still go ahead and stab me with the scissors?"

He pulls me towards him roughly, his other hand pressed against the small of my back. Our noses almost graze each other as he leans forward.

"It was an accident," Lan Shen Yu explains without batting an eyelid. "They just slipped out of my hands."

"Liar!" I struggle harder. "I saw you raise those scissors and take aim at me!"

"Oops," He shrugs, finally letting go of me. "Busted."

"And another thing I don't understand," I roll my wrist painfully, deliberating over whether to slap him senseless while he was unprepared for my attack. "Why haven't you revealed my identity to the Emperor?"

"Xiao Jin Zi," he speaks to me slowly, enunciating each word as though I was daft. "If I did that, he would have you beheaded for lying to his face."

I gulp.

"Don't look so worried," Director Lan smirks, "your secret is safe with me... so long as you remain loyal and obedient."

My heart sank. I didn't want to die, especially not by beheading. It made me shudder just to think of it.

"I'm sure from now on, you'll do exactly as I say."

I give in, my head lowered dejectedly.

"Yes... Master Lan."

Little did I know, I had just signed a pact with the devil.