0 7 | b a t t l e

How He Fell has made it to the second stage of voting for the Readers Choice Awards 2020. Please please please go vote for the book and show some love! I beg you!

Song of the chapter: In Too Deep by The Sweeplings

☙❦❧

EVELYN hated rumors and rumors spread like a wildfire.

Somehow, the day Maddox and Evelyn were trapped in school, managed to stay a secret for about three weeks. And then it blew up.

The secret was fun while it lasted.

Walking through the halls as people stared her down was sort of new. She'd been through the process of stares, but it was usually a few here and there.

Right now, she had all two eyes of each student in the hallway. Whispers flooded her ears, nasty words had her subtly cringing. Picking up her pace, she tried to leave as fast as she could. The longer she stayed, the more likely she was to be hurt one way or another.

Her father loved to hurt her in the places she was already hurting. If she came home with a bruise on her hip, her father would somehow find out and probably hit her in that exact place.

Thinking of that kind of situation arising later in the day had her running into the janitor's closet.

She didn't mind skipping lunch. She'd done it before, she'd anyways been deprived of food often so going hungry was not a new feeling to her.

Relief flooded her veins as the door blocked the view of everyone walking down to lunch, gossiping about her. Sympathizing with Maddox.

Slipping down to the floor, she rested her back against the shelf behind her. Sniffling, she attempted to calm herself. The anxiety and panic filled her lungs, her breaths stopped short. Her hands started to shake slightly. Squeezing her eyes shut, a whimper slipped past her lips. Opening her eyes, tears blurred her vision.

Blinking, a tear finally escaped. And many more came after.

"Stop," she whispered to herself.

If she continued on, it would be harder to mask the redness of her eyes and the puffiness surrounding them. Everyone would know what they had done. That they had made her cry. They would all celebrate.

As she wiped the tears that continued downwards, she heard footsteps. Coming closer and closer until they eventually stopped right outside the closet.

Holding her breath, she tried to muffle her whimpers so as to not give her hiding spot away.

A knock came down on the door.

"Evelyn."

The voice was soft spoken and hesitant. Biting her lip, she furrowed her eyebrows.

"Maddox?"