The Last Dance (32)

Here it is: the long awaited next chapter after all this time. Enjoy!

Comment and Vote?

Cheers, 

xo.

***************************************************

Chapter 32 - Marriage Campaign

{The High Ball, Day 3}

John's POV

I looked away from the mirror, distinctly aware of how the Kingdom's coat of arms stood out against my pale grey tunic. 

Another day, another ball, though this year was less tedious than the rest and it was no mystery why.

Castle attendants hovered around me, tentatively reaching out to adjust laces and collars; a nuisance I tried to endure gracefully.

After all, it wasn't their fault they had to follow orders. 

My gaze fell on Mason leaning casually against the wall. I couldn't help but feel envious that he'd been ready for half an hour now, exempt from the fussing hands of those that surrounded me.

Bad enough they wouldn't let me get dressed alone without the embarrassment of having someone else in the room.

I mean really, did they think I would forget my breeches without them around?

I cleared my throat loudly, and was satisfied by a hasty retreat. Much as I disliked making their job harder for them there was only so much I could take.

Breathing out a sigh of relief at the welcome space around me I ran a hand through my hair, ignoring the disapproving looks from the bolder attendants.

A thin gold crown was timidly placed on my head and with a final rustling of clothes they were all gone.

Finally.

From across the room Mason tossed my sword over. I strung it quickly through my belt, already feeling my annoyance melt into excitement at the thought of seeing Celia again tonight.

I threw open the door to my room and rushed outside, taking long strides down the hall. We'd barely turned the corner when another attendant came towards us.

What now? Did the belt not match my tunic?

"Your Highness" He said with a low bow.

I nodded impatiently, wanting to be off.

"His Royal Highness, the King, has requested your presence in the library my Prince."

I exchanged a curious look with Mason wondering what he could want.

"Thank you, did he say anything else?"

"Only that he wished you to come right away."

"Very well, we're on our way."

With another bow he left us and I reluctantly turned my footsteps in the other direction towards the library.

"The library? Why ever would he want to meet you there? Why not the throne room as usual?" Mason said beside me.

The same question had occurred to me.

"He must not want anyone else to know" I mused aloud.

And that in itself was unusual, my father never did anything in secret, he said it might breed suspicion into the Kingdom.