7. True Colors

A/N: I'm having so much fun writing this story can you tell? 🤣 Not quite sure why Chapter 3 is getting no love though- everyone seems to skip over it when voting *scratches head* hopefully someone can break the curse. Ahem.

~•~

Director Lan's true colors showed for the first time when I accompanied him back to his residence. Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, Lan Shen Yu held such a powerful position in court that he was allowed to own a fancy residence outside of  the palace.

The trip to Lan Fu (the Lan Manor) started off quite peacefully with me walking beside the Director's luxurious sedan chair. Compared to the ladies-in-waiting fanning away and the sweaty men holding up the sedan, I actually had a pretty easy job of looking out for unruly citizens.

I was quite excited to be outside of the palace for the first time and able to observe civilian life in ancient China. Things that were mundane to everyone else captured my attention. There were peddlers everywhere, dressed in robes and hanfus of eye-catching colors and design. Every time we walked past a stall they would try to stop us by calling out loudly and recommending their products.

I was especially drawn to a stall that sold all kinds of makeup and lingered near it for as long as I could. On the table, colored Yan Zhi (blush) were arranged in delicate containers that looked like real lotus flowers. The containers were so pretty that I swore when I got my first payment of copper coins I would find my way back here and buy one... even if palace eunuchs could never wear Yan Zhi out in the open.

I was surprised when our group came to a sudden stop. An old lady and a young boy wearing white mourning robes were kneeling in front of the sedan, refusing to give way. The old woman squints at us. When she realized who was seated on the chair, she starts throwing white paper money at us like a curse. I instinctively wrap my hands around the charm hanging from my neck.

Director Lan lifts his gaze lazily at the commotion, his peach blossom eyes hooded with sleep. He raises a ring encrusted hand and the men take heed, lowering his sedan carefully onto the ground.

As soon as he stands, the young boy lunges at him, circling his arms tight around Lan Shen Yu's leg.

"Bring him back! Give back my Fu Qin!"

(Fu Qin: Father)

I immediately step in, given that it was my duty to stop unruly citizens from approaching the Director. The boy lets go, but not without taking a bite out of my arm first (seriously what did I do to deserve this 😭). Director Lan's eyes narrow at him, appearing to be annoyed that his procession was being held up by two petty citizens.

"Give back my son you ball-less monster!" The old woman spits, throwing more paper at him like she hoped his skin would burn off where the money landed.

The Director lets out a long, sardonic laugh, as though she'd told him the funniest joke ever.

"Don't be mistaken, lady." He chuckles softly. "Your son was executed for embezzlement. He got what he deserved."

"My son was an honest and loyal official! He worked selflessly for the civilians! It was you! You framed-"

Lan Shen Yu kicks the old woman in the stomach so hard that she flys backward, coughing up blood. The boy runs towards his grandmother and ends up standing protectively in front of her.

"You killed my Fu Qin!" He points an accusatory finger at Director Lan. "When I grow up, I'll make you pay!"

I felt sorry for him, but I was in no position to be a hero. I thought that Director Lan would have them taken away for a beating or thrown into the prison, but I was wrong.

I was about to witness just how ruthless my Master really was.

Lan moves his fingers gracefully, as though contemplating his next move.

"Ah, too bad really. I was planning to spare you both since Official Xu promised you wouldn't question further." He pulls out a dagger from his sleeve, gazing at the pointed tip endearingly. "I try to be benevolent, yet you force me to zhan cao chu gen*."

(Zhan cao chu gen- to cut grass one needs to pull out its roots)

Before I could blink, blood spurts from the young boy's neck like a fountain. The dagger then flies through the air, embedding itself in the old woman's chest. She slumps over, dead in an instant. Citizens and onlookers let out shrill screams, terror evident in their eyes. Lan Shen Yu scans the crowd slowly until they disperse down the street, leaving behind empty stalls and unmanned teahouses. I desperately wished I could join them but I was frozen in place from shock.

What just happened?

Fresh fruit falls off an overturned cart, rolling on the ground next to Director Lan's foot. He bends down, picking up the apple and wiping it carefully with a cloth. He turns towards me, holding the bright red apple in one hand and the cloth in the other.

His teeth flash white as a shark's, but his voice is calm and indifferent, as though this type of situation was ordinary fare.

"Xiao Jin Zi, fetch me my dagger."

I open my mouth to reply. Which in hindsight, was probably not a smart move. I retch uncontrollably, taking him by surprise as I spew all over the front of his robe.