Under the Castle

Sun didn't know why her heart beat so heavily with anticipation as she watched a tall, copper-haired male emerge from the crowd

Sun didn't know why her heart beat so heavily with anticipation as she watched a tall, copper-haired male emerge from the crowd. His green eyes were solely focused on her as he slithered over.

He was handsome, in a feline, roguish way, with a cool and collected disposition. He was the sort of man that hadn't a care in the world, as if he'd always be a step ahead of everyone.

Rogan wore a deep green, suede tunic that complemented the natural red highlights in his hair. At his waist, he wore a sword and scabbard. And in his hand, he held a single red rose in which he extended to Sun. "For the loveliest lady at the ball."

Sun noticed how his eyes glittered, she'd caught the mischief in them as she took the rose from his hand. Indeed, something about him was very mysterious, as if his aura lay hidden within the shadows.

"It must pain you to look at her, doesn't it cousin?" Rogan asked Princess Adel, not bothering to remove his eyes from Sun's face. "Finally there is someone here even 'prettier' than you."

Princess Adel laughed, the sound tight in her throat. "Two equally beautiful women can coexist in the same room, Rogan."

"'Equally beautiful'," Rogan snorted.

Princess Adel ignored him as she turned toward Sun, physically replacing any sign of distain with elegance. "Sun was just saying how much she wished to dance."

"Is that so?" Rogan lifted the corner of his thin lips into a smile. "Then the lady shall dance."

He extended a hand and Sun only hesitated for a fraction. She handed Princess Adel her rose before allowing Rogan to escort her to the dance floor. The tune changed, offering a slow, melodic sound that moved through her body. Rogan placed a hand on her waist and whispered so close that his lips gently brushed her ear. "Can you dance?"

"No," Sun admitted, her heart speeding up as she watched the women around her effortlessly move to the tune.

"You will learn, tonight," Rogan told her, taking her hand as he began to move. "It is a skill that will become quite needed."

"I'm sure," Sun responded, regretting the two goblets of wine she'd devoured as the room began to spin a little.

"My apologies for not introducing myself in a proper manner before stealing you away from my conniving cousin. I'm Rogan."

"So I've heard," she said, closing her eyes to keep the room from spinning. Rogan was an expert at dancing, and she could barely keep up. She was surprised she hadn't tripped over his feet. "How is she conniving?"

"Adel is always up to something, especially when she's being friendly," Rogan explained. "It's harmless fun with her, usually. Her bite is soft. On the other hand, Prince Christian's bite is hard."

Sun narrowed her eyes, not knowing why she was suddenly defensive over the charming prince. "I hear you want the throne."

"Naturally," Rogan yawned, seemingly bored with where the conversation was headed. "I deserve it as much as anyone."