Twenty One: Apologies

You somehow managed to make it through the morning practice without cracking under the pressure of your own messy feelings about Oikawa's yesterday's words. As soon as you saw him at the gymnasium's door this morning, your heart literally jumped and clenched, leaving you speechless for a moment. As you said to Iwaizumi, you weren't angry at Oikawa for saying that he didn't need you, but still, it didn't change the fact that you were hurt and would be more than happy to hear that what the boy said wasn't true. But you also knew that it was too much for you to hope for.

When the final whistle clashed through the gymnasium, you sighed in relief. Not waiting for anyone to accost you, you ran out from the hall and headed towards the school's main building.

You were sneaking through the crowded hallway to your classroom when something stopped you.

"[Name], wait!", somebody called out for you.

You froze, recognising the voice. Slowly, you turned around to see a chocolate haired boy, edging his way to you through a battery of other students.

"Oikawa-san, I'm in a slight hurry", you tried to weasel out of the longer talk. For now you didn't feel you would be able to pretend to be fine after yesterday.

"I'm sorry", Oikawa ignored your excuse.

"Eh?", you didn't understand.

"I didn't want to hurt you by saying this", he explained with a remorseful expression huing his face.

Once again, you could feel the painful clutch of your heart. Your throat clenched but you could still murmur under your breath:

"It's fine, I knew from the beggining that I could be substituted anytime. It's not like I'm someone special to you either way", your voice was quiet and grim, but it wasn't holding any offence. You words were honest and maybe this was the reason why Oikawa's own heart clenched.

"You're wrong", he said half cocked. You lifted your head in surprise and widened your eyes. A faint spark of hope lightened up inside you.

"What do you mean?", you raised your eyebrow suspiciously.

Only now did the boy realise that what he said needed some further explanation, which he even himself didn't have. But something was telling him that this explanation would be more than embarrassing. Seeing your big, (e/c) eyes focused on his face made his cheeks grow slightly red. As soon as he realised it, he moved his head to the side to hide it from you.

"I-I mean kissing you feels better than kissing any other girl", he mumbled under his breath, making sure that his fringe was covering his glowing cheeks enough for you not to see his blush. "So you are kind of special to me".

At first he was avoiding your inquiring look, but when no answer could be heard for a longer time, he peeked at you from the corner of his eye.

The view in front of him was nothing he would have ever expected. Your cheeks were bright red, but what was the most surprising, a small drain of tears was flowing uncontrollably from your widely opened eyes.

"[Name]-chan?", Oikawa was confused. He bended slightly so that his face was directly in front of yours. Some students who were passing by the two of you slowed down to check what was happening, but he ignored them.

You covered your face, wiping down the tears which you couldn't stop from flowing.

"Did I say something wrong?", the boy asked, trying to cool you down.

You smiled through the tears.

"No, it's just...", you hiccuped. "I'm really happy to hear this. Even if this kind of special isn't exactly what I want, I'm still happy".

The bell signalising the beginning of the first lesson rang and the hallway quickly emptied from the other students

You stopped crying, but your eyes were still wet. You wiped down the last tear from the corner of your eye when you felt Oikawa's bony palm resting on your warm cheek. You looked up and saw the smiling boy.

He wanted to kiss you so much right now.

"We have to go to our classes", you said before he could do anything. In fact, the only thing you wanted was to stay just a little bit longer with Oikawa in this intimate scene.

"Right", the boy only now seemed to realise that the lessons had already started. He moved his hand back and grabbed the string of his bag. Slowly, you parted away, both feeling your hearts beat like mad.

This time it would be different.

Because Oikawa said you were special to him.