Epilogue

'She's the kinda girl who Trips over air and Blames it on the rock five feet Away'

Carter Stark sat at the pristine white desk in her room staring aimlessly out of her bedroom window from the Avengers tower.

Her head was proped up on the palm of her hand as she lazily ran the pencil in her right hand over the piece of paper on her desk.

The sound of the movie 'The breakfast club' could be heard playing from the TV screen across the room, although Carter had long since become bored of watching it and had instead gone to looking out of the window as a source of entertainment.

Watching as the world continued on bellow her she wondered what it would be like to be free, to be able to show the world who she was.

It had been just over a year now since Carter had moved into the Avengers Compound with her father and the now seventeen year old was feeling like she'd always been there.

The team of superheroes had been going on frequent missions lately including the one they were currently on, leaving Carter to be her own source of entertainment.

Her eyes suddenly lit up as an idea came to mind. It hadn't taken long after she'd turned sixteen for Carter to admit she wanted to be more in touch with her mutant abilities and the team had helped her in making the transition more comfortable.

Now instead of immense pain every time Carter wanted to spread her wings - literally - she only felt a dull stinging pain.

It was more the thought that her back was being torn open and she lost a significant amount of blood each time that made her uncomfortable rather than the mutation itself.

So with a new idea in mind Carter span around in her chair before standing quickly and running bare footed out of her door and down the hallway into the changing room's for when the team would suit up.

Taking a deep breath Carter focused on her wings and envisioning them growing out of her back as she felt a sharp sting bellow both of her shoulder blades as her wings began to grow.

Within thirty seconds the girl was stood with slightly uneven breathing and a pool of blood running down from her back and legs to the tiled floor and the drain in the centre of the shower station.

Then there were her jet black sleek wings that fluttered as the girl moved in a circle. 

Folding her wings as she made her way out of the changing room Carter quickly changed into spare clothes in her own room before making her way towards the landing pad where she simply placed her masquerade mask -that covered the area around her eyes - on.

It was all she needed to do to keep her identity a secret. Walking to the edge of the platform and climbing over the railing Carter stood with her back to the city as she faced the tower she lived in.

"Hey JARVIS?" Carter called out as a sudden after thought.

"Yes, Ms. Stark" The AL politely replied in its familiar British drawl.

"Could you tell me when Tony and everyone else are about five minutes away so I have time to get back?" She questioned as she fiddled with the communication device that meant she could talk to JARVIS away from the tower.

"Of course Ms. Stark" It replied.

As the words left the AL's system Carter let her body begin its free fall from the building backwards as she plummeted at an alarming rate towards the ground below.

Her wings still being folded behind her back made her more aerodynamic as her body twisted positioning itself face down before - right at the last minute - she dived toward the floor her wings snapped out with a sleek sound as Carter sighed in content when the force sent her up into the new York sky.

She was happy in that moment, unaware of how long she had been flying and uncaring about the judgement those below held towards her. Nothing could bring down her spirits.

"Ms. Stark, Mr. Stark will be returning in five minutes approximately, Mr. Barton has been reported injured and I was given instructions to inform you of a party that will be held" JARVIS spoke causing Carter to sigh in amusement.

Things never seemed to change around the tower, and she loved it.

TO BE CONTINUED...