Chapter 39

"I'm sorry, Minerva dear, but what exactly are you insinuating?"

Minerva drew herself up to her full height as the short woman dressed in pink addressed her. She knew that Umbridge was fully aware of what she was talking about, and she was bristling internally with anger. How dare this horrible little pest lay a hand on her son in such a way. It was all she could do to keep from hexing her on the spot. Several curses came to mind easily, including one that could be used to turn a person into a toad. Minerva reminded herself sternly to remain calm and deal with the situation like a responsible adult.

Besides, she could always go into the woman's office later as a cat and cause some damage. That would be far more satisfying in her opinion.

"I am merely requesting, Dolores, that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices." She said coldly, watching as Umbridge's face contorted for a second before recomposing itself into a sickly-sweet simper. It gave her great secret pleasure knowing she could get under the skin of this insufferable demon of a human being so easily.

"So silly of me-" Umbridge began, and Minerva bit back the sharp retort that immediately sprang to her lips.

Yes, silly. Quite similar to every other word that comes spouting from that foul cavern you call your mouth. But you clearly wouldn't know, it's obvious you rarely listen to yourself when you speak.

"-but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom." As she finished the sentence, Umbridge took a step up, bringing her short figure higher so her face was level with Minerva's. Calmly and deliberately, the Transfiguration professor mirrored her action. Again, she noted with satisfaction that Umbridge's face twitched angrily.

"Not at all, Dolores." She pumped every bit of sarcasm and biting fury that she could into that name. Umbridge almost flinched, but the action wasn't quite enough to be properly noticed by anyone but McGonagall. "Merely your medieval methods."

She nearly rolled her eyes at the look of shock she got from the other professor (if you could call her that).

"I- am sorry, dear," Umbridge barely stopped herself from saying something else. Minerva wished she had. She needed a good reason to pull her wand on the woman. "But to question my practices, is to question the Ministry. And by extension, the Minister himself."

Minerva wondered if the near-reverent tone in Dolores Umbridge's voice was a ploy to try and knock her down, or if the woman actually looked up to Cornelius Fudge that much. She highly suspected the first one, though this woman's stature would most certainly mean she quite literally looked up to him.

"I am a tolerant woman." The nuisance continued. Minerva noted the gathering of students on the foyer below. she could see Harry at the front, glaring up at Umbridge with barely bridled hatred and disgust. His hand still sported those ugly cuts, in his own handwriting. "But the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty."

"Disloyalty." Minerva almost laughed as she took a step back down the stairs.

Dolores took another step up and turned to look out over the group of teens below them. Minerva idly wondered if she preferred standing on the stairs because it meant she was looking down on the 5th years for once.

"Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared." Umbridge announced, looking the very picture of concern. "Cornelius will want to take immediate action."

And with that, she walked off up the stairs and in the direction of her classroom.

The students began to murmur. Minerva took a breath to compose herself and turned to face them.

"You all have class starting soon." She said firmly, but not unkindly.

The students gave her a general response, many 'yes ma'am's and 'yes professor's floating up. Minerva took another deep breath and walked in the direction of her own classroom.

As she rounded a corner, she noticed the Weasley twins tucked into a shady corner, poring over sheets of parchment.

"Misters Weasley and Weasley. Class starts soon."

The two redheads looked up sharply and flashed her cheeky grins. "Yes Professor. On our way." One of them chirped. George, Minerva believed. His voice was ever so slightly deeper. 

As they packed their parchments and bustled off, a lone sheet drifted to the floor. Minerva picked it up and glanced at it.

She had been about to call out to the two and return it to them when she saw what was actually on it.

"Interesting..." Minerva pocketed the list detailing several supplies for what seemed like an uncharacteristically large prank. Several items she didn't even recognize, but many of them seemed to be potions and other ingredients for some strange concoction. Nothing was lethal.

She'd have to speak to those two about this later, but right now she had a class of intelligent and (rather understandably) upset 5th years to teach.

[A/N dialog between Umbridge and McGonagall taken from the 5th movie, the scene on the stairs]