Chapter Forty-Six

"Thank you, Kaidan. It's not often you meet someone so easily accepting of this as you," Finn said, sounding genuinely grateful.

Everyone's eyes were on me and I quickly felt embarrassed so I picked up the menu and hid behind it. Jay chuckled softly and leant over to kiss my temple, quickly carding his fingers through my hair, which was looking very like sex hair thanks to our unexpected make out session earlier. 

"Jay...?" I asked, a hopefully pleading tone to my voice as I glanced between him and the menu. He nodded, seeming to understand how confused I was by all the fancy names.

He took it from me gently and pointed to a few things. "This is my favourite here, the chicken is absolutely perfectly cooked. I'm going to get that, why don't you too?"

I nodded, happy that he'd at least told me what to expect in the meal. I just didn't want to embarrass myself in front of his rich and fancy friends. I felt the overwhelming urge to feel accepted by them, like they approved of me. Which was absolutely ridiculous; they weren't Jay's parents and I wasn't his boyfriend. 

"What would you like to drink?" he asked, turning the menu over to show me the drinks.

There were so many different types of wines, and champagne, and even the beer was brands I'd never heard of. 

"Um... I'm not letting you get me drunk again, so I'm okay with water."

"They do fruit juice?" Ollie suggested helpfully.

I nodded. "Yeah, that would be nice." I smiled gratefully at Ollie. Clearly he could see how uncomfortable I was. Finn seemed completely oblivious. 

"Finny, why don't you order for us while I go to the toilet," he said, moving to get up. 

"What would you like?" he asked. 

Ollie just looked at him, frowning, confused. "Whatever you want me to have."

Finn grinned widely and pulled him down for a quick kiss before Ollie disappeared through the tables. 

"So you own this place?" I asked, trying to make conversation so I didn't feel so awkward. 

"Yeah. My parents used to own it and it was passed down to me. This was where I met Ollie for the first time," he said, smiling happily, his eyes lighting up. 

It was hard not to smile at the clear happiness shining in his face. 

"Are you two thinking about getting married now that it's legal?" I asked, hoping I wasn't intruding on their privacy. 

"We've not talked about it actually. Ollie just likes to live in the present. He does as he's told and doesn't worry about what tomorrow's going to be like. It's quite a refreshing outlook on life. Although, it does mean that I have to plan everything. And he's such an impulse buyer, so he now has to ask permission if he wants to buy anything that costs more than a couple dollars."

I laughed softly. "I can imagine. How long have you been together?"

"Oh, God... Seven years and nine months. He doesn't want to do anything for our anniversary this year. I could propose... He'd never forget it." He grinned slightly, thoughtful. 

Before I could respond, Ollie was coming back. 

"Baby, you've still not ordered," he noted as he sat down. 

"We've been too busy chatting." He waved the waiter over and ordered for him and Ollie. 

Jay glanced at me. "Sure you want what I'm having?" he asked. I nodded and he squeezed my hand as he ordered.