t.w.o

Throughout the rest of the evening, until Remi took a carriage back home, the Icix silently followed her around as if he was her shadow. At first he'd only been walking a few feet away from her, which made her uncomfortable, so she tried to put space between them. Somehow, he understood and didn't try get closer.

He also didn't try talk to her or anyone else, and it made her curious as to whether or not he could talk, and what he would sound like if he could.

Her house was in a clearing in the middle of a beautiful forest just a couple miles from the city. The trees were in consecutive lines. Many of the fruit trees were just beginning to bloom.

As they got closer, the clearing appeared. An impossibly large house sat in the middle of perfectly manicured grass, with a wide, winding smooth-stone pathway leading up to the entrance.

Various elaborate water fountains surrounded by beautiful flowers and trees trimmed into specific shapes filled the lawn. There was even a small pond off to the left, bordered by small, dark stones and filled with colourful, flashy fish.

As they passed the pond, she noticed that the Icix was no longer walking behind her. She turned around to see him crouching by the pond's edge, wings outstretched as he watched the fish dance and twirl to their little hearts' content in the crystal clear water.

Remi looked upon his wings in awe, unable to avert her gaze. His wings were at least three times as long as his body. If he were free, he could fly anywhere.

Then, without a word, the Icix stood back up and walked back over to her. He arched an eyebrow, as if he was surprised she was looking his way.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" Remi said with a smile, though inwardly she felt quite nervous talking to him. It wouldn't take him more than half a second to snap her neck, though the bonding would probably stop him before he could hurt her. Still, knowing what he was capable of . . . it was terrifying.

She wouldn't let him see her fear, though. She wouldn't let it show.

His eyes flitted to her face almost in confusion, as if he didn't understand why she was speaking to him. Remi noticed for the first time just how dark his blue eyes were. They appeared to have entire cosmos inside of them, dazzling and sparkling.

Finally, he spoke. "Do you prefer my silence or my voice?"

She got her answer.

His voice was startlingly raw—deep, rich baritone with a slight drawl that prickled her skin.

"Answer when you like, or remain silent when you like. That's up to you."

His dark eyes narrowed in on her, wondering if her words were some sort of trick. Not believing she was being genuine.

That came to Remi as no surprise. Many masters preferred their slaves forever silent, and most would hang a slave for refusing to answer a direct question.

"Yes, they are," he finally murmured, and it took a few seconds for her to realize he was answering her earlier question about the fish.

Silently, Remi turned around and walked into her house. The Icix followed her, but still kept his distance. Although she preferred the space between them to be as much as possible, it also made her sad that the Icix was reading her expressions and doing exactly what he thought she would prefer, with no regard as to what he wanted.

"Ah, you're back!" a bouncing, blonde haired girl cheered enthusiastically, glancing around quickly before pulling her into a hug before she could even get passed the doorframe.

Remi returned it without hesitation. "Safire, my beautiful friend," she smiled, smoothing down a wayward strand of hair.

Safire's light, knee-length hair was naturally smooth and glossy, but sometimes after a long day of working in the kitchen, her hair lost a touch of its perfection. Sweat glistened across her few patches of tiny scales.