LIX • Upside Down

"You assholes okay?" Arat groaned.

After their flip and tumble, Daphne had taken Simon's knee to the stomach as they flew across the cab. "Fuckin' peachy," she croaked. There was movement against her thigh and she reached down to slap whatever it was.

"Ow!" Simon barked. "Watch it!"

"You kicked me in the stomach," the blonde chastised, smacking down in his general vicinity again.

He rolled away from her, and there was shuffling in the darkness. "I didn't fucking mean to."

"I don't think this was an accident." Arat steered the conversation back to the situation at hand. "We need to be ready when this door opens. How's the leg, old man?"

"Had the opportunity to give it a good rest being tied to a chair for so long," he retorted.

"Can you run?" she asked as she moved to the door, feeling along the seam to figure out which way it would open when it did.

"I could jog," he replied, and Daphne stood, patting around to feel for his arm to help him up.

"Hop, skip, and a jump," she sang, and he grunted in response.

The staccato cracks of gunfire sounded from outside, and Daphne pursed her lips. She wasn't sure if that was the driver of the truck, or whoever had taken it out. She propped Simon at the end, behind Arat, and crossed to cover the other side.

"It landed on it's side, feels like," the other lieutenant said. "So they'll probably open it downwards. Be ready for the bottom half."

"We going to just jump out, fists flying, or what's the plan?" Daphne inquired.

That's what she really wanted to do, but she wasn't sure if that was the best choice. She was buzzing with adrenaline, at finally being free and with her friends. But the urgency inside of her that Negan was in a separate vehicle, probably growing farther away from her with each second, passenger to an asshole that wanted to kill him...she knew she wasn't in the frame of mind to be making tactical decisions.

"It's dark enough that they shouldn't be able to see us right away," Arat explained, "so we should be able to figure out who they are first."

"And if they're not ours?" Daphne asked.

"Then sure, fists flying," came the reply. "But I'd be willing to bet they're ours."

Daphne thought so too, but they couldn't take any chances.

The gunfire stopped, and they all tensed, ready to spring into action as soon as the door opened. But a high whistle cut through the air, followed by two sharp raps, and Arat actually laughed at the sound.

When the door opened and a disheveled-looking Letty stood there, Daphne launched herself at her, arms extended. The scout froze at the sudden embrace, and then stiffly raised her arms, patting the blonde on the back awkwardly.

"I knew you'd catch up to me eventually," Daphne said, and received an exasperated laugh in return.

"You are the biggest pain in the ass I've ever had the pleasure of working with," Letty said, and Daphne laughed too, stepping back to admire her Savior.

"I'm honoured," she said, and then leaned to check over the scout's head. "Are you okay? Jared said he knocked you out."

"Jared's dead." Letty let out a whoosh of breath, though she didn't seem too broken up about it. The guy had been a thorn in many a Savior's side.

"Yeah, I was there." Daphne's eyes darkened, still wishing that she'd done it herself.

The scout furrowed her brow. "That was you?"