3 | Michael as My Confidant

I shamefully ate the plate of food that Michael insisted to dip for me. Arguing with him about doing stuff for me -that I was capable of doing myself-was like a losing battle. Lina had come to the conclusion that he did it because he felt guilty about the accident, but I didn't understand how. It isn't like he was around when it happened or that he was the target. Lina and I were both in the wrong place at the wrong time. There was nothing that Michael could've possibly done to prevent what happened to me; unless he was around and tried to use his body as a shield for me and knowing Michael I wouldn't put it pass him.

"Ew," Michael frowned, as he spat out whatever he had in his mouth in a napkin. "Who in the world made the greens?"

I laughed and shook my head and looked at his plate. He had only eaten the chicken and green beans off his plate even though he had dipped up damn-near everything that was placed out.

"Yeah this shit was triflin... mother should've cooked all it herself."

"Hey!" I whined, "my mom made the potato salad!"

He looked over at me and shrugged, "well it was nasty."

I looked at him in disbelief as chuckles went around the table that we sat at. Like all family functions we were divided; the kids, the teens, and then of course the adults. Although Michael could've been conversing with his older cousins and siblings he had chosen to stick at my side... like always so we sat at the table with some of his younger cousins and friends of the family that were my age.

"I think your moms' potato salad is good," the girl that sat next to me said. "Mike is just a picky eater," she rolled her eyes playfully.

"There's a difference in being a picky eater Cheyenne, and the food jus' bein straight up nasty," he smirked and that made me roll my eyes and I pushed at his knee under the table.

"How do you deal with him all day every day?" Randy asked, "don't get me wrong Mike we're brothers but sheesh."

"I was offended Randy," Michael smartly replies and then looks over at me, "but I wanna know too. How do you deal with my ass all day every day?"

"By knowing when to walk away..." I laughed, "like now. I'm going to get me something to drink and no Michael... I can get it myself." He sighed heavily as I got up from the table and walked over to the coolers to grab me a little bottle of water and a canned sprite, but of course Michael's overprotective ways got the best of him and when I turned around he had started to walk over to me.

"A girl can't get a drink for herself, sir?" I playfully asked and he smirked, stopping in front of me.

"Let's take a walk for a minute..." I raised my eyebrows in curiosity, but Michael just walked pass me and over to the gate.

I didn't want to carry the cold drinks in my hand so I put them back in the cooler before following Michael outside of the gate. We walked in silence for the most part and it was fine until I started to feel a little cramping in my stomach.

"Does this walk have a destination? And maybe a conversation?"

"We goin' to the park, chillax girl," he looked over at me and smiled.

"If this park isn't going to come up any time soon you're going to have to carry me because I'm feeling a little pain in my stomach," I was teasing about the carrying part, but of course I was serious about the cramping.

Michael stopped walking and looked down at me, "are you serious?"

I nodded, "I think it's creeping up... you know... my 'time of the month'," I laughed awkwardly and turned to keep walking until Michael voluntarily scooped me up bridal-style. "Michael put me down! The cramps are minor, I can still walk. I'm not dying," I rolled my eyes and Michael tightened his grip as I squirmed.