↬seventeen.

He held her in his arms until she calmed down, until the memories were faint enough to think.

  He had never seen such heartache in her. He didn't know the throbbing pain she held inside of her.

  But he certainly knew that she was important. She simply needed a sliver of love to remember that.

"Noelle, I'm sorry that your family treats you that way. They're sick and sad. But you don't deserve that at all, " he assured her, gazing deep into her eyes. "You are a person. You have worth, no matter what anyone says. You have a heart, a soul. And they are beautiful."

"Jack, " she sighed, breathing air of melancholy.

He smiled, projecting endless warmth and kindness. "I know it's hard. To get through such sorrow. But I'm going to help you, and remind you every day that you're valuable."

She let his words sink in, grateful for his support.

"Why are you doing this for me?"

"Because I treasure you more than anything in the world, " he answered simply, without a second thought.

In that moment, she felt an undeniable force pulling her to him. She wanted nothing more than to be in his arms, and nowhere else.

So she leaned in.

Her heart leaped.

And she felt a smile tug at her lips when he cupped her cheek.

"My little mermaid, " he said before their lips finally found each other. A whirlwind of emotions spilled into the kiss until they were both gasping for air.

It wasn't like anything she ever dreamed of, but everything she hoped for.

She was a mermaid that couldn't swim, and instead of drowning, he saved her.

For that, she knew she wouldn't be able to let go of him.

A/N: short, but sweet! Can I get a vote for early updates?

  Also, warning: we are arriving very close to the end of Paintbrush. A mystery still has to unfold, and their love needs to grow.

  Comment what your ideas, and thank you for reading!