Decisions*

(Vienna. January 1st, 1944)

    "Care to explain why you gave Tom Riddle the ring of Marvolo Gaunt?" Albus stands in front of a Pensieve, his blue eyes twinkling as he looks upon the swirling mist. I hold in a snort, knowing very well that Albus Dumbledore in this time, doesn't seem to beat around the bush. "It was the right thing to do," I reply to him, making my way to my armchair by the fireplace and falling upon it in a fit of exhaustion. "Did you not tell me he would make it into a Horcrux?" I involuntarily flinch with his words and sigh. "That is what he once did," I say to him, flicking my wand towards the simple black kettle and begin to make tea. "How do you know he still won't?" His question makes me pause with the task, I stand slowly and make my way to him. "I don't." Albus sighs deeply with my words and proceeds to draw a string of memories from his mind. "At least he didn't kill to get it." The words were true, my mind still fresh with the memories of our duel. I watch, almost transfixed as he pulls another string of memories from his temple and puts it into the Pensieve. "I guess you're right." He states simply, watching the memories swirl within the Pensieve. 

     "How did you get a Pensieve? I thought only the Headmaster could have one?" I ask him, regarding the metal dish carefully. Albus sends me a small smile and steps away from it. "I have my ways." He sends me a twinkling wink before sending the Pensieve away, locking it within a cabinet and resuming my unfinished tea-making. "Yes, I'm well aware of that," I say to him, walking back towards my chair and falling upon it again. "What is your next plan of action?" He asks me after a long moment, handing me my cup of tea and settling into an armchair himself. "I have no idea." I rub my temples, trying to work away from a growing headache and clear my brain. "I didn't know whether or not to say this..." He begins, sending me a cautious look. "But I think he's grown quite fond of you." His blue eyes have turned curious and he absentmindedly runs his fingers through his ever-growing beard. I let out another long sigh as I contemplate his words. "I'm not so sure of that. He did try to kill me." I say to him, my eyes transfixed on my cup of tea. "Yes. But he didn't." I scoff with his words and look towards him. "That's not very good reasoning Albus. If I would have been a fraction of a second slower he would have killed me." My eyes close, remembering the green flash all too well and the way pure fear rushed through my body. "Why did you not erase his memories? He's going to want some answers." He says to me. I can feel his heavy gaze upon me as I resort to staring at my tea again. "To build trust," I state simply, my gaze rising to meet him and watching as his face grows into confusion. "Trust?" He asks, trying and failing to come up with a logical reason himself. "He will ask questions, but in order to do that, he will need to gain my trust. All the while I gain his as well." Recognition flashes across his face at my words. "I'm sure it will be difficult." Albus looks away from me and to the fireplace with his words. "Yes. Tom Riddle has never trusted anybody or anything but himself, this is part of my task." I watch Albus closely, hoping that he will give me some wisdom, but he doesn't say anything for a long while. "Trust is a hard thing to build. There is a lot of give and take to the concept. I'm afraid that in order to gain his trust you will need to divulge into some of your past, without alerting him that you're from the future. It will be very difficult."  

     Once again, I'm left to contemplate his words, my mind spinning and a sense of fear filling my heart. "I'm scared, Albus." The words come out soft, for a brief moment I didn't think he heard me, but he's quick to send me a concerned gaze. "Scared? Whatever for Vienna?" I don't answer him for quite some time, as I let my mind wander to the things Alexander has told me. I look to Albus again, my eyes filling with tears and my heart suddenly booming. 

"A heavy task awaits them.

A daughter born in place of a son.

A son born in place of true devotion.

Her light is blinding. 

His darkness is foreboding.

With every success, she fades.

With every failure, he flourishes.

Magic so deep and old it consumes.

When sumptuous words are spoken

they will meet their final misfortune."

     My voice echoes around the room, the prophecy ringing out around us and setting the grismal tone. It is quiet for quite some time afterward, the prophecy weighing heavily on both of our minds and the fear ever growing. My tea becoming ice cold in the process. I set the teacup down on the table in front of us, before standing from my armchair. "I should be going. Goodnight Albus." I walk ever so slowly towards the door, my heart still pounding and tears threatening to spill. "Goodnight Vienna. Happy birthday." His voice is quiet, full of comfort and causing me to choke back a sob. I don't answer him as I walk out the door and into the quiet corridor, slowly heading towards the Slytherin common room and knowing Tom will be there. After what seems like an eternity, I'm standing in front of the portrait door and I'm wiping my eyes furiously to rid myself of the tears. Eventually, I take a deep breath and plaster a fake happiness to my face before uttering the password and stepping through the door.