Chapter 13: The Adventure Begins

(Arulla's P.O.V.)

I was sleeping peacefully, my dream as peaceful as myself. That was until my dream turned into a nightmare. The same nightmare I've had every day since the red sky. I was screaming, thrashing my arms around me. I was woken up by Fílí who was shaking my shoulders. He looked at me with worried eyes,

"Aranel, are you alright?" I was breathing so heavily that it took me awhile to regain my breath. When I was finally calmed down, I nodded my head and smiled faintly.

"Yes Fíli. I will be fine." He nodded slowly and softly patted me on my shoulder. "Well, you should get up. Uncle will be getting the others up soon."

I nodded and he left me alone in my room. I gathered my things quickly. When all of my things were almost packed, a pounding knock came at my door. I jumped at the sound,

"I was already awake." I softly said. He opened my door and walked in. I thought he was going to say something nice but when I looked up he stared in disbelief. His eyes trailed to my neck. It took me only a moment to realize what he was staring at. The gleaming stones had shone brightly on the top of my tunic. I smiled sadly to myself and grabbed my pack and head towards the door.

I try to pass him quickly but my feet forbid it. Once I passed him, his eyes still staring at me in disbelief, I ran, my emotions barely holding on. I walked almost ran to Amdir, I fastened her saddle as quick as I could, her bit and bridle too. Once that was done, I attached my pack and pet her muzzle, awaiting the other dwarves.

When some dwarves began to file out, I sniggered at their half-asleep faces. I mounted my horse quickly before Thorin came out. When he did, his eyes were glued to whatever was in front of him. Not once did he look up at me. I shrugged it off and flicked the reigns ever so slightly. Amdir began to move and just like that we were off.

I stayed close to the back of the group, near Fílí and Kílí. Silence was all I could hear. I finally grew tired of it and whispered to Fílí,

"I bet you 20 gold coins that the hobbit comes." Fílí turned his head towards me and smiled, "You're on!" I smile and look up towards Thorin. I stop smiling and urge Amdir closer to Thorin. I was now riding up next to Gloin who was only one pony away from Thorin. I kind of planned this conversation. I wanted to know if he had faith that he would find me, and this was the only way to know. I slightly tugged on Gloin's sleeve.

He looked up at me with kind eyes and smiled. I smiled back and whispered, "Does Thorin have any family of his own?" Gloin lowered his head in sadness and nodded his head, "Aye lass. He did." I tried to look surprised but in truth I wasn't, "Did?" Gloin nodded.

"After the dragon took Erebor, Thorin snuck his daughter and wife away from the mountain for safety. But what he didn't predict was a stray band of orcs were near Erebor. When he searched the survivors, he couldn't find anyone who had seen them in the cave that he secretly told his wife to go to. Sometime later, some Elves came upon them. When he asked them if they'd seen his wife and little princess. They said that the child was never found and the mother was shot in the shoulder by an arrow and taken away."

I looked up at Thorin. His head was now bowed and his grip was tight on his reigns. So tight that his knuckles were the pure definition of white. I look back down at Gloin and he continues,

"Thorin grieved for a long time. Admitting to himself that it was his fault that they died." I inhaled sharply. It wasn't his fault. Gloin continued, "I do believe that he still feels guilty about their deaths." I shook my head. I was far from whispering when I spoke again, "Their deaths!?" Thorin jerked up and glared fiercely at me.

I returned his glare and growled, "Your daughter might still be alive! Why give up on her now!? Because I know that she wouldn't give up on you!!" It was true, even though I never said it, I always believed that my father was going to find me and take me home with him. I returned to my conversation, all eyes on me now as I screamed. "Just because she was never found does not mean that she's-"

"Aranel!!" Gandalf yelled. I glared at him now and kicked Amdir hard in the sides. She took off and I didn't look back. but when I passed Thorin, tears were falling.

I rode ahead a few miles and cried softly into Amdir's mane. He had given up on me, after he promised that he would find me. He gave up on me... When the company finally caught up to me, I avoided all eyes and kept my head forward. I was even behind Fílí and Kílí. I only raised my head when I heard a faint yell. And I heard it again.

"Stop!" I yelled. Thorin groaned, "What now!" I turn my head around and sure enough Bilbo was running towards the company.

"I signed it!" the hobbit said proudly as he handed the contract to Balin. Balin quickly looked at it and smiled at Bilbo,

"Everything seems to be in order. Welcome Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield." The hobbit stood in awe and smiled.

"Give him a pony!" Thorin grumbled. I sighed and walked up beside Bilbo and with the help of Fílí, hoisted Bilbo onto a pony named Myrtle. Then we began to move again. Journeying farther and farther away from the Shire

______________________

Thank you all to whom have enjoyed this story.... I made a bet to myself that I could post two chapters in one day. Well, mission accomplished! Now I just need to start in the next chapter.

Please comment, rate, vote, like.

Your opinion and advice is critical to me.

Le hannon!

Namarië!

-TC110