Prologue

2412, Tull 14, Briss

A night unlike all others.

A woman stood by the window of the tallest tower in the Palace, overlooking the dark sky. She took a deep breath, inhaling the cold, night breeze. Her eyes scanned the grounds below her.

Lesser towers stood on guard around her tower. A sense of power wrapped around her veins. This was what someone like her should have. She wasn't just anybody. She was a Queen. Shouldn't she deserve all things in the world?

She squeezed the stone sill of her window, bunching the flesh of her palms. Numb. She was numb. All this power, all this authority. It was not enough.

More.

She needed more to save this dying territory. Strength was a currency in this world and as a Queen, shouldn't she have the most?

Creatures in the dark prowled in wait for a moment of weakness. The Queen wasn't going to give them that. Those creatures existed to wipe her race from the face of the island. To devour them until there was nothing left.

She should act first.

That was why she was up this late. Something was keeping her awake. Her sense told her that something was going to happen tonight. Something special. Something...beneficial to her plans.

Cold blew into her skin. She shivered and stiffened. The wind shifted, carrying with it an ominous feeling. She inhaled. Freezing air assaulted her nose. Wait. Wait and see what this was about.

Lights erupted in the sky like the creature shows in the Festival. She leaned half of her body out of the window, jaw dropping at the show of thousands of bright lights gliding in thin lines across the inky sky. This...

The stars, themselves, dimmed in contrast to the lights' harsh brightness. Colors splashed and mixed. Blurred, intertwined yet stayed separate. Fiery meteors with lengthy tails blazed by in silent but resounding proclamation.

The lights sang in an untold language of magic. Verses upon verses of unheard tales chanted a lore of undiscovered might. Somewhere on the island. Just within her reach.

Her lips curled into a menacing smile.

It was truly a night unlike all others.

A traitor.

That was what his enemies said about him. After all, he was a thief and a liar. A bounty was put on his head. Sooner or later, they were going to find him and they would reap from him what he deserved.

He shook his head with a sigh. No matter. He did what he could. They were not going to listen to him even though he told them what he discovered about their enemy. It wasn't the island. It wasn't the magic riding the air around them. It was...themselves.

They were the enemy.

Hiding a lore of violence, of revenge, and of the endless quest to power. That was that they stood for. That was what they were all about. It was enough to drive him out of the stronghold. Sadly, it seemed like he was never meant to go out once he got in.