111. Proxy

111. Proxy

It was difficult.

Rei always smiled, Rei was always stupid. Rei deserved so much more-- and yet, Drew always came into his way, making everything erupt into chaos once again.

What if everyone was right? That Drew was just a haunted spirit latching onto Rei, unable to let go because she was so incredibly selfish?

Who could say she wasn't?

Opening his eyes, Drew could've cried.

But tears-- Rei didn't have the strength for it. His whole body was weak, heavy, dead. His heart was beating-- Drew was relieved to hear the heart machine beep rhythmically. But limbs felt like lead and fingers felt like wood.

He was immobile.

Opening his eyes briefly, Drew eyed the pristine white ceiling, eyes swirling around the multicoloured phosphenes, trying to obtain her bearings.

Why? She could only think, Why am I here?

Why is it me?

Her consciousness began to drift, and then everything faded into black.

-

"Rei's awake!"

It seems she had shuffled a little, but what fully woke Drew up was the call. The panicked, yet excited voices towards the outside, alarming anyone outside.

Rei had been moved out of the ICU. 

"Rei, are you okay?" 

Yamamoto Takeshi, Drew recognized. He looked very weary, as if he'd stayed up the night. Upon closer inspection, Drew saw the Arcobaleno battle watch on his wrist.

Eyes adrift, Drew took in the crowd. 

Yamamoto-- Tsuna, Gokudera. Just them three. Raising a heavy, trembling hand toward Yamamoto, Yamamoto panicked. 

"Wait, you don't have to--" get up. You don't have to get up

This is Rei's body you're using.

But with Yamamoto's help, Drew sat upright. Removing the oxygen mask from his face, Drew looked at her own hand.

For some reason, her sight was blurred.

Gripping a fist, she suddenly found strength in her limbs. Wait, wasn't it supposed to be the opposite? Wasn't she supposed to feel even more lethargic than before? His body felt light. Mobile-- too easy.

On his left hand, the Void Ring was gone.

A panicked expression washed over her.

The ring-- the medium of flames. Where did it go? Concern flooded her senses, Rei hadn't taken it off since the day he got it and--