Bonus Chapter

Alec

Stay strong.

You have to stay strong for Nick.

I kept chanting this when a tap on my shoulder made me jump in my spot.

Running a hand on my cheek, I quickly wiped my tears away and looked up.

"Hey, dad."

He sat down beside me and I looked away for a moment.

"It's okay to cry infront of people, son."

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and just nodded.

"You should be there. They're about to lower the grave," He spoke again.

My chest heaved up as I sucked in a shaky breath. "I can't."

I felt his hand around my shoulder as he pulled me into a hug.

"I'm not going to force you but I think your mom would want you there."

"Would me being there bring her back?" It came out as a whisper.

I finally saw his sorrow come to the surface, which he had been keeping buried to appear strong infront of me and Nick. But it was gone within a moment and he looked ahead at the busy road.

I couldn't help but wonder how nice things would have been if none of this had happened and my parents would just be driving me to school as usual.

"I know you love her, Adam. She loves you too. She still does. How do you think she would feel about you not being there for her burial?"

"Then, she can come back and tell me how mad she is right now."

But she is not coming back.

She never will.

Just the mere thought made me want to shut my eyes so tight and somehow wake up from this nightmare.

"I wish she could," Dad muttered under his breath.

I don't know how long we sat there in silence but dad finally ruffled my hair and got up.

"You know," He started while brushing the dust from his pants. "I had a dog when I was your age. He died and I refused to see him one last time before he was buried. Then, a few days later I went to his tiny grave and all I could think about is how I could give away anything just to see him one last time, even if it meant seeing him dead."

I looked up at him.

"I regretted that I didn't say my goodbye even when I had the choice."

Dad shook his head. "Now I know that you're smarter than me, Adam. Aren't you?"

I took in a shaky breath and blinked back the tears.

"I-I'll be there in a minute," I stuttered.

"Okay," Dad spoke and walked away.

I felt a tap on my shoulder again.

"Just give me a minute, dad."

"I'm not your dad."

It was a very sweet voice of a girl.

I turned around in confusion to find a little girl standing there.

She was wearing a cute little black frock which complimented her brown hair. She couldn't be more than 8 years old.

"Hi. I'm Scarlet," She smiled and sat down beside me.

I blinked in confusion.

What did she want?

She stared at me expectantly through her chocolate brown eyes and I raised a brow.