Chapter 17: With death do we part

Verna's amber eyes blinked open, looking around to find any familiar surrounding. She was surrounded by a foggy mist, with the shape of trees around her, it looked similar to the place she had visited in her dreams.

"Do you regret your choice?" Satan walked towards her, his skull cow head tilting in question.

"No," she replied honestly, "I'll miss them, but Suzuko has more of a life to live then I do." She nodded, to her it was true. Suzuko had been rescued at such a young age that she could change her fate and help herself. Verna on the other hand was already incredibly messed up, and any future with Dreamer would have left him miserable.

"We both know that's not true." Verna shook her head, she didn't want to think of all the possible outcomes she could have lived through, the idea of a happily ever after even after her death was just ridiculous. she latched onto the sound of his voice it was a strange mix of both of the voices that buzzed in her head, she wondered why that was as it is. Was it just a coincidence?

"You were the one in my head weren't you?" She turned towards the small pond of water, touching the cool reflective material with her finger to watch it swirl.

"Yes, unfortunately when I had given you the gift of the second sight my voice split into two, leaving one to comfort and the other to hurt you. Its the unfortunate reality of being a creature that was once holy, I had hoped that the softer side would manage to beat the harsher nature of the second voice." He looked away, almost as if in a sad gesture that Verna couldn't decipher. His skull like head made it almost impossible for her to figure out the differences in his expressions, leaving him looking like he was always emotionless.

"Why," Verna turned to him with her eyebrows furrowed "Why would you give me this.. gift?" Verna tried to phrase it in a more grateful way. Now that she understood what the problem was she didn't feel as much as a freak.

"Surely you don't remember, but when you were a young girl your mother took you to the park." as he started talking an image played in the oval mirror that hung before the pond. In it, Verna was a young girl running around in the snow, she turned to her mother who shooed her away while she chattered into her cellphone. Verna rolled her brown eyes, turning towards the large snow pile she had collected while she was there and raced to it, throwing her small body into the plush chilly mound.

"No mother! Bert and I have discussed that you teach Verna too many things that she shouldn't know at her age!" Her mother hissed into the phone, Verna flinched back at the harsh tone. She loved her Grandma, her grandma was one of the few people that would tell her stories of magic. Verna wandered farther, trying to ignore the harsh whispers of her mother, the last thing she wanted was to listen to was that argument. She paused, blowing her breath into the air to watch it fog, she smiled to herself and giggled at the gesture.

"Child," a cold creaking voice called for her from behind the trees, Verna snapped towards the sound with her mouth gaped in awe. A tall man stood before her, much taller than her father was. The man had an animal like skull, horns on top of his head and a ripped shirt that bore human like flesh under it. The flesh was a mix between amber and crimson, coating the mixed color like splatters of blood.

Verna looked at him in awe, "Hi." she showed him a toothy smile, waiting for him to speak.

"Would you like to make a deal?" he cocked his head to the side, holding out his large hand that looked to be burned to a crisp.

"Sure!" Verna giggles, putting her small hand into his without hesitating. He looked taken aback by the gesture, bending down to face level with her.

"My dear, I am the devil, a deal with me will cost you." He watches her face change from awe to a thoughtful thinking.

"Okay, I trust you Mr. Devil man! I want you to be my friend!" She grins, he watches her carefully and let out a small sigh.

"That I can give you my child," He pressed his finger to her forehead, her vision getting hazy as she lands on her back in the snow. her mind blank as she watched the snow fall, leaving her in the cocoon of cold.

"Verna? Verna!" Her mother raced towards her, shaking her small shoulders as her head lolled to the side watching the man leave her. "Verna what happened to your eyes?" Her mother started crying, as her brown eyes were now a soft amber.