Chapter 18: To Dedicate One's Life

I  wanted to show you the amazing covers that realm_spirit made for this story. Thank you very much.

I got three wonderful covers and I will be using them for the story each one would be here for two weeks before I return to the original cover -because it was made by my sister and she kind of took her time to chose this and I kind of already has that woman in my head as Seyran-.

I'm still delighted by the covers though. It looks like a professional work!

***

**

*

It was something more of a reflex than a well-thought plan but realizing what it had done, the little bird didn't let go and instead intensified the fire. It wasn't all that big, rather small and formed a sort of wall between the dangerous weapon and the seated man on the bed. The flame had a red as glaring as that of the animal and its heat was increasing as time passed.

"What are you doing?" Seyran asked with no inflection in her voice and if she was surprised by the animal's action, she didn't let this transpired.

Elder Shen had stood up spontaneously when the sword appeared out of nowhere and the guards came rushing at the sight of fire. However, they could do nothing but just stand there a little surprised. In their minds, it was, after all, a quarrel between the crown princess and her own contracted beast. It wasn't their place to act and furthermore, looking at that small animal, it should be a master-slave type of contract, nothing to fear concerning the princess' safety. If worst came to worst, she would certainly kill it. Or so they thought anyway.

The little bird couldn't be called angry, yet it wasn't calm either. Flapping its wings and staring straight at Seyran, it was simply reluctant to go away or retract the safety wall. Huang had spent a little more than a month in this man's company. It heard his nagging and annoying voice almost every day and most of all, it heard the other talked non-stop about his mistress despite it pecking him to have him shut up. Now, seeing the same fool being killed by the person he admired the most, didn't seem right at all. The little bird was unwilling!

"...He is sick." It reproached "Is the solution really to kill him? Just like that? Because in his sick moment he said he wanted to die?"

As it talked it thought its words right and the indignation on behalf of its comrade slowly turned to anger. Its feathers were slowly turning to an incandescent fire earning gaps from those in the room. The part of the sword in contact with the wall made of element started to melt slowly and as a drop was about to fall on the bed, a violent wind discarded it aside. Still, it touched the wooden floor and the room would slowly start to take fire itself if the guards weren't reacting and dealing with each drop that the agitated animal kept flinging randomly, trying to retain it on their swords.

"After he died, then what? Why go through the trouble to save if only to kill him! "

Seyran retracted the silvery weapon and with the same, even voice, talked to the bird that had yet to make that wall of fire in front of her disappear,

"Then I kill those who failed to cure him, those who brought him here and those who tortured him. Everyone who knew and assist in that matter. Thoroughly."

That was her truthful intention, no matter the time it should take for her to accomplish. That servant was if only, someone she had accepted by her side herself. Far from calming it, Huang's indignation rose actually.

"He can avenge himself, he is not dead yet!"

Elder Shen admired a little daze the lowered and damaged sword that was in the crown princess's hand. Let alone that she had yet to understand how it came here, the more pressing matter wasn't it why it so easily melted under this little fire? Every guard's weapons had their qi's infused in it to strengthen it, no matter the level of the guard the sword was taken from, at the very least, it should have held itself more than this when encountering fire for such a short while. Seeing the saber's thoroughly damaged state, matriarch Shen couldn't help but frown. Wasn't the handle now very hot as well? Of course, it was made of wood but there were some copper and iron too. The princess, was she really fine still holding it?