The Next Journey

A/N:

This is your last chance to vote.

Do it for the kittens.

EPILOGUE:

3 WEEKS LATER:

The sky was dark and gloomy. It was depressing the way the sky cried along with everyone else in the small crowd surrounding his coffin. Eyes swollen with unshed tears and shoulders slumped under the weight of death's hand.

I looked around me only to see black. Why was there only black? Who chose such a depressing colour to accompany an already depressing day? My eyes shifted across the graveyard, pleading to see something other than black.

Black.

The last thing he saw.

My eyes caught the tall gravestones and the dead flowers at the foot of them all.

Dead flowers for a dead body.

A murder of crows pecked at the dead flowers and I grimaced. I glanced upwards towards the tall tombstones that would last far longer that the lives they were meant to mark. The tombstones spiralled up as if mocking the heavens.

'It's my fault. It's my fault he is dead,' I wanted to scream at the people, but I didn't. I kept quiet as his mother bend down to place a kiss on the coven. "I will always love you," she choked out. Then she kissed him goodbye and sunk into the comforting arms of her remaining relatives as Mother Earth swallowed up her child.

I didn't move an inch until the last family member left. Then slowly, ever so slowly I stood up and approached the tombstone. It looked so similar to the hundreds of others surrounding it. So insignificant. I knelt down, my legs no longer having the power to hold me up right.

I never thought I would be here again.

History repeats itself.

All too often.

I felt the salty tears bubbling up and lowered my head as they streamed down my face. I sobbed quietly with Kane only a few feet away, but I didn't need his comfort right now.

"You promised you would always stay by my side," I whispered to the gravestone, I looked up and stared at the name engraved into the tombstone, 'Simon Gleaveland, may you always gaze upon the stars,' it read and I broke down in sobs again.

The sky emptied its sadness in giant splashes of tears doing an astonishingly good job of hiding my own. We both poured out our grief onto the awaiting ground.

I don't know how much time passed before I found the strength to stand up, to let him go. I rose to my feet and gently stroked the familiar name, 'Simon Gleaveland.'

"I'm sorry. I promised I would never hurt you," I whispered and touched my fingers to my lips before resting them on his grave and uttering my last words of goodbye, "I lied..."

I turned away from his grave and wiped away my tears. Together Kane and I walk away from his grave, hand in hand, sharing our grief. Mony waits for us in the car with her own tear-stroked face.

One life lost.

Three lives saved.

An unclear future.

Another journey.

Here we go.