VIII. Sonic the Hedgehog

I saw Blackfire fighting with Cyborg and Beastboy, so she wouldn't be a worry for a while.

Well, or so I thought.

I was rounding a corner, and I freaked out and skid to a halt because I saw her. I thought. It looked like her, and she scared me, and I slid into a metal trash can. The Chaos Emerald jumped into the air and onto my head, which knocked my back into my senses. The girl looked at me as if I was a T.V. that had fallen out of the sky. I laughed nervously, and started to run again.

Robin said he would be searching on the other side of the town, so it wouldn't be hard to dash between the buildings looking for the three people that looked completely different. Whether or not there were people around, no one looked quite like Robin, Starfire, or Raven.

But the search didn't last long. It turned out that Blackfire wasn't the only person going after the Emerald. My instincts seemed to kick in a second before a fist would have impaled my gut. "You're slippery." I looked up to see someone in a dark suit with a red 'X' on his torso. He looked a little bit like Slade. But Slade wasn't about to crawl out of whatever pathetic hole he was hiding in for the precious gem.

I jumped away, but just far enough away for him not to stab me through with his hand or something. "Gee, that's an original line." I told him. "Who are you?"

"Can't you read?" He said. "Here, I'll help you." He shot something at me that stuck to my arm; I tried to get it off, but it was almost as sticky as if it had become a part of me.

I put my hand on the 'X' that had wrapped itself around my arm, but my hand had gotten stuck. "Eugh!" I cried out, nearly tripping on something as I tried to yank my hand off. "What is this stuff?!"

"New formula." He simply said.

"A sticky red X?" I asked, stumbling around, my hand finally peeling off.

He snickered. I paused. "Oh. Red X."

"Glad you cared to know my name." He said. Then he started putting some of the 'X's on the ground. This wasn't good. One wrong step and the Chaos Emerald was lost.

I was busy trying to get the stupid sticky 'X' off, so I didn't notice him come up behind me. But when I did start to pay attention, there was a battle. Getting my hand off helped, too. There were uppercuts and bruises on both sides, and at one point I felt like my eye was bleeding. In return, I tripped him with my feet, then punched him in the gut. He was down for a second, then came full on with punches when he got up. I jumped over him, kicking him in the back. He was on all fours, panting.

"Had enough?" I asked, my hands behind my back with the Emerald.

He looked at me with a scowl. "For now."

I started to walk away, watching the 'X's on the ground to make sure I didn't step on them. But there was, like, nothing I could have done when he sabotaged one of my shoes to the ground.

"Hey!" I said, trying to run away. Yeah, okay, I tripped, and the hand that didn't have the Chaos Emerald landed palm-first into an 'X'. I kind of felt like my body was being stretched out.

But there was still a chance. He was coming to get the Emerald. There was an 'X' right next to me. I slid the hand that was stuck out of its glove and stuck the Chaos Emerald straight into the X, then slipped out of my shoes. I looked super heroic in one glove and my socks.

"I'm not giving it up that easily." I told him.

He chuckled. "You have a brain in there. I'm surprised."

I was too short to knee him in the gut. He could easily stop me with his 'X's. I needed a plan, but I needed more time to make one.

I ducked as he tried to punch my face. I grabbed his arm, then tripped him with my legs. But tripping him made me fall as well. I didn't know how to fight people.