Chapter 24

The quietness engulfed the room.

I stared down to my hands, as they weakly held onto the papers. We were officially over now. We no longer are a married couple. We were over and there is no going back.

"It's done." I said, shaking my head. "We're over."

"We were over a long time ago, Skylar. We just didn't realise it." Ethan said, crouching down across from me. "You should have talked to me about the divorce, Skylar. At least then I would have known I shouldn't have any expectations from this relationship."

I looked up at him. "I knew this was bound to happen, but I just didn't expect it to happen so soon. I thought we had to stay together for at least for a little more time for our careers at least."

"Don't try to sound like you regret it, Skylar. I know you wanted this. Honestly, I'm just mad at you because you didn't say it to me but preferred to tell it to Ben."

"What are you talking about?" I asked him in surprise. I never told Ben anything about divorce.

"Ben told me at the party that you wanted a divorce as soon as possible. I thought we were happy, Skylar. Where did I go wrong?"

"What the hell are you talking about? I never told Ben anything of that sort!" I said. "And how can you accuse me of that when you're the one who told everyone that you wanted to get out of this marriage as soon as possible. Do you know how humiliated I was to hear it from Kyle?"

"Don't fuck with me, Skylar. I've had enough for the night." He said.

"I'm not lying!"

"I over heard your conversation with Kyle. You said I want this marriage to end as soon as possible."

I gathered my head in my palms in anger. "I only said that after Kyle told me how you wanted a divorce. I'd look like a fool if I hadn't said that."

"You mean you never wanted a divorce?" He asked me incredulously.

I shook my head and tears fell on my cheeks. "I never wanted one, Ethan. Why would I want to get a divorce from you when I'm in love with you?"

Ethan stiffened in his place. He widened his eyes at me and spoke. "What?"

I brushed the strands of hair falling on my face with the back of my hand and shook my head. I couldn't repeat it for him and make myself look like a fool again.

I didn't know why I always admit my feelings when I know he doesn't have the same feelings about me. The first time I told him that I love him, which was seven years ago, he told me how he never had any interest in me and that he only just dated me to get back at my brother.

And now, I told him I love him right after giving him a divorce.

"You can't say you love me after you send me those goddamn divorce papers, Skylar." He grumbled.

"Do not accuse me of anything like that." I said. "I never sent you any papers."

"I found the papers on my desk this morning." He said. "It fucked with my brain, Skylar. I couldn't work, and did you know how hard it was for me to come to the premiere after knowing that you wanted me out of your life? I almost decided not to show up, but this was important to you. I changed my mind in the last second."

I shook my head as his words confused me further. What was he even saying?

"I don't know who sent those to you, but I swear I didn't." I said. "Heck, why don't you still believe me? I just told you I'm in love with you!"

Ethan growled in frustration and clutched the papers in his hands. Without giving me any moment to breathe, he grabbed them and tore them into pieces.

I gasped in surprise. He just tore the papers. What was he doing?