Chapter 1. Tragic Incident

NOTE: This story is written in a retro-futuristic style. So, you won't find it to be too modern or too historic either. It will be something in the middle. Thank you. Have a nice read:)

_______________________________________

The sun settled bringing dark clouds in the sky, the shade of orange painted over the sky. Trees rustling by the passing wind. People in the town returning back to their houses. Far from all the hustle bustle of the town, far from the city. There was a forest located between the expansive cities of Iris and Veneton. The forest was restricted as many wild creatures resided there. In the midst of the forest, there was a small house surrounded by large coniferous trees.

Dazed, cold, alone yet unafraid; a little girl of the age of seven hopped, skipped and jumped as she returned home from town carrying a small basket filled with ripe, freshly picked berries. Both of her small hands were clenched tightly around the straw handle of her wickerwork basket that she clutched to her chest. Her humming didn't quite block out the cawing of the cackling crows that circled above the darkening treetops nor did it stave off the eerie feeling that blanketed the forest as night fell.

The dim flickering of flames on wicks of melting wax cast a yellow glow that peered through the thinning tree trunks. Joy hastened the girl's steps whilst she breathed in the familiar scent of smoked wood chips, cooking spices and herbs. As she approached her house, her fast pace slowed bit by bit until she came to a halt. Her wide eyes took in a large figure wearing a black hood standing in front of her mother.

Young Elina picked at the loosening threads on the edge of her cloak while she nibbled nervously on her chapped lips. Her orderly mother hadn't mentioned that there were to be any visitors tonight. Furthermore, the stature and aura surrounding the intimidating stranger didn't quite seem guestlike.

She was about to step forward when the flutter of his black cape drew her eyes to his movements. The man loomed over the petite woman with his back toward Elina, obscuring her mother from sight. All was still until the pitter patter of viscous drops of liquid splattering ricocheted off the walls of the girl's skull.

"M-Mommy...?" she called out as her eyes took in the growing pool of crimson blood. Her hands trembled and relinquished their tight grip on the basket. All Elina saw was red; blood mixed with berries as they tumbled and rolled into the dark puddle.

"MOMMY!!"

A loud resounding thump sounded as the lifeless corpse dropped to the ground. Elina moved slowly towards her mother and her murderer. Her legs were shivering out of fear.

As she approached, a glimpse of moonlight glinted off the bloodied canines of the killer. Vampire. Terror clawed at her body, mind and soul, like ice running through her veins.

At this moment, something darted from the foggy depths of the forest. It's face was concealed by a black hood similar to the ghastly beast that stood over Elina's late mother. The new comer wasted no time in latching onto the monster before disappearing within the blink of an eye with only a swirl of mist left in their wake.

With the two gone, Elina ran towards her mother. Then she noticed that her father was also lying down dead like her mother, both of them having the same two pierced marks on their neck.

Looking at both of them, tears poured from her blue eyes as she knelt beside her parents.

"Mommy, Daddy!" She shook them in an attempt at waking them up.

"You can't leave me!" Her lips trembled as she flung her small arms over her parents', holding onto them in way as if she'd ward anyone who'd dare come to take them away from her.