Chapter 14

Zameer sighed deeply as he stood outside the doors of the infirmary.

Throughout the night, he kept thinking about Sadia. She was there when his eyes were open and she was there when his eyes were closed. And her sobs ringed in his ears.

And the smack on his face, he could still feel the sting of it on his cheek. He deserved it, he knew that but it didn't make him feel any better.

He sighed again.

Whatever happened, happened. It'll all be over soon. He thought, clenching his hands into hard fists.

It was time for the final talks.

It was now or never. Probably after today, he wouldn't have to deal with Dr. Sadia Rehman again because he will officially wash his hands off of her case. And that would probably be for the best.

As soon as the army would give their response, Zameer will take care of Sadia. Indefinitely.

And whatever he was feeling, he was sure that they would end by today.

It was only sympathy after all. He was only human and it was natural to sympathise with others even if he was the cause of it. And mostly, it was all in the heat of the moment and he got swept with it.

But he was also a cold blooded assassin. Taking lives was almost second nature to him.

And this target, she was no different.

After she had fulfilled her purpose, Zameer would make sure to give her a swift and painless death.

With these thoughts, Zameer inhaled deeply, putting on his stone cold mask.

He opened the door but was surprised to find Sadia sitting on a chair by the bed. Her head was down, facing the ground. Zameer had half a mind to ask her what she was doing out of bed but he didn't get the chance because Sadia staggered to her feet when she heard the door open.

"I would like...." Sadia inhaled deeply and for the thousandth time, she told herself not to break. "I want to.....speak with my father." She said, her voice soft but when she raised her head, Zameer's brow creased when he saw the look on Sadia's face, it was a silent yet determined look. He found it surprising but he didn't let it bother him much.

"You'll be allowed to speak-"

"No! I want to speak with him!" Sadia snapped, catching Zameer completely off guard. She had never cut him off like that or demanded something like that. But it worked, almost like a whip. Zameer found himself no longer in a position to deny what she wanted as he nodded and led her out of the infirmary. Perhaps it was because he knew of her fate that's why he wanted to accept her demand. It wasn't something unreasonable.

As they walked in the dark corridor, Zameer paid attention to Sadia's presence behind him. Her steps were light. Zameer couldn't help but think of all the times he had carried her down this same path. His arms almost ached to touch her again but he knew that it was useless feeling this way. She would probably be dead in a few hours.

"Can," Sadia started, her heart pacing but she fought against her fear to retain her composure. "Can.....I speak without....interruption?"

Zameer stopped walking, his back facing Sadia. He found it strange. What kind of a request that was? it was beyond his comprehension but he didn't see any reason to deny it.

"Alright." He said and continued walking. After all, Sadia couldn't do anything. She was completely at their mercy and he knew what a scared little girl she was. Probably, all she wanted to do was beg her father to save her and perhaps the last incident with Qadeem must've really frightened her that's why she made this request. It seemed plausible enough.

Stopping outside the door, Zameer didn't bother with putting on a mask which Sadia inferred must've meant that they weren't about to have a live call. Sadia felt relieved. The last thing she wanted was to see the heartbroken look on her father's face. Because Sadia knew what she was going to do would probably change everything.

As they entered, there were only a few people present in the dimly lit room. Sadia raised her head and looked around. Suddenly, she didn't feel afraid anymore. She felt as she was brave now, and she could overcome her fear because her intentions were different this time.

Zameer nodded towards the desk and a man nodded. Sadia inhaled deeply as the same man forwarded a receiver towards Zameer.

"Hello, General," He said with a cocky smirk as he looked at Sadia who kept her head low. "You still have time but I think an incentive will do."

There was silence in the room for a minute.

Sadia could hear her wild heart pounding as cold shivers ran down her spine. But she knew that her resolve was unshaken. Nothing could deter her mind now that it was made up.

"How would you feel like talking with your daughter, hmm?" Zameer said, his deep voice as his dark eyes set on Sadia. Sadia felt his gaze and raised her head. Her coloured cheeks weren't visible in the poor light of the room and Sadia was grateful for that.

As soon as the receiver was forwarded in her direction, Sadia's heart almost skipped a beat. Tears welled in her eyes and all the emotions that she had tried to bury inside were now flooding out. A whimper left her lips and she had to clench her teeth tightly to hold in her cries. Her heart was shuddering and her chest felt tight.

Be brave Sadia! She mentally shouted at herself as her tears rolled down her eye. Be brave, please. Remember who this is for. This is for the greater good! She told herself as she took the receiver and placed it on her ear.

"B-baba?".

"Sadia?!" Her father's worried voice came from the other end.

"S-Salam, Baba," Sadia almost choked on her tears as her chin wobbled.

"Sadia meray Bachay! Are you alright? Did they harm you in anyway?" Sadia could clearly hear the distress in his voice. "Don't worry my child. I'll save you and I promise I will get you out."

Oh Baba, if only you knew that I won't be coming back. She thought sorrowfully. How much she had wished that she hadn't left home on that day. How much she wished that she had seen her father one last time. But alas, not everyone gets what they want.

So before her resolve could come crumbling down, she inhaled deeply and composed herself as she let her patriotic spirit take hold of her.

"I love you so much Baba," she said in a soft voice. This was the fist time she declared her love so openly for her father, which wasn't of norm.

"Sadia we'll-"

"But Baba, you must never forget who you are. You are a soldier of the Pakistan army," Sadia's voice was low till now but she breathed in deeply, ready to say what was needed to be said.

"Sadia what are you say-"

"Pakistan army does not negotiate with terrorists!" Sadia screamed. This was probably the first time in her life Sadia has raised her voice to such a high pitch. Zameer was frozen in shock. He honestly did not see that coming.

"Do not compromise on national security for my sake!" Sadia further screamed.

**********

Chapter 15 has been updated on inkitt