CHAPTER 22: Crying Over Spilt Wine

A/N: Quite a cliffhanger, eh? Lucky you, I have this and one more chapter coming out very soon. Consider it a compensation for last month.

This might be my best written chapter so far so do tell me how you liked it.

VANESSA

Isn't all of this just too good to be true? I cheerfully greeted the guests as the party began. All this hardwork we had put in had now come to life and it gave me immense satisfaction.

As the speeches began, I took a break from mingling with people. My jaw was hurting from smiling for so long. I went to the bar and got myself a glass of champagne.

As the bartender prepared my drink, I met a rather unwelcomed guest. I ignored her presence, I just wanted to get my drink and leave. Rebecca Sanders was another name for 'Trouble'. However, I wasn't so fortunate and she started a conversation with me.

"Hey, Vanessa!", she smiled.

I smiled back, "Hey!"

I looked into her grey eyes, trying desperately to interpret her motive behind this conversation but they were just steel cold.

I picked up my champagne glass as she ordered for red wine.

"Quite a nice party.",she said.

"Yeah. Thanks."

"Better than senior year prom at least.", she smiled or did she? I would rather call it a sneer.

Senior year prom? I tried to recall what had happened. Rebecca became prom queen and Jacob was prom king and as customary, they danced. Whatever! Oh yes...Then she tried to rub it in my face and drama happened...

Rebecca adjusted her crown as she walked up to her friends. I gave Jacob a genuine pat on the shoulder in congratulation and Raven, my little Halloween pet, haha...no! I was awkward at times but not that awkward! Raven Miller was my high school bestie. So she and I were laughing on some stupid joke when Rebecca came and stood beside me.

I tried to ignore her but Rebecca, being Rebecca didn't take no for an answer. She gave a sly smile, "Oh! I am so sorry that Jacob and I danced, it must have been a little too much for your insecure little heart."

I mocked her, "Nope! I would never be jealous of a person like you."

"FYI, I am the prom queen.", She pointed to her crown.

"I know. So..."

"So? Honey, that means that I am the most popular and beautiful girl in school."

"YAY! Good for you! Now if you will excuse me, I have to...

"WHO ARE YOU?", she yelled loud enough for a lot of people to here despite the loud music. Slowly people began to turn their attention to us. "You are a sorry little dorky girl flaunting her dad's money."

She definitely crossed a line there.

"Well! Then I feel sorry for you.", I scowled.

"For me? Haha..."

"Yes. For you because this very sorry little dorky girl flaunting her dad's money is the one dating Jacob, not your obsessed little self.", I smirked.

Soon everyone burst out laughing. She messed with the wrong person.

"Guys! Who doesn't want to ditch this idiotic banter and get the party started?", I smiled to the crowd. Everyone roared and shouted, quickly forgetting this feud. Rebecca knew she had lost to me, that too on the last day of school. She was never going to have a chance to get back at me, was she? Or so I thought!

I just gulped a lump of air in my throat recalling the flashback. My entire career is on line of this party's success and it is a golden opportunity for Rebecca to settle scores. I need to get away from her as soon as possible!!!

"Rebecca, I am terribly sorry but Adrian's speech has ended and I must return to attending to the guests.", I said quickly putting down my empty champagne glass and walking away.

I had taken just a couple steps forward when Rebecca called me, "Hey Vanessa! I am so sorry."

That was unexpected. I turned around and asked, "For what?"

"For this!"

And she flung her wine glass towards me which, I just noticed, was completely filled. I shrieked in reflex and stepped back with my arms still up in the air but the wine found home on my beautiful dress which was now ruined. Wine trickled down it and gathered in bunches, leaving deep red stains.

Rebecca almost yelled, "ACTUALLY YOU DESERVED IT, YOU LITTLE BITCH!" as she set her empty wine glass on the table and quickly slipped away.

I felt people turning towards me and their gaze seemed to be peering into my soul. Some even gasped and slowly the sound of muffled whispers filled the room. My face turned hot and tears started to well up in my eyes but I dared not to cry.

There were media people here and by now I was sure they had already covered as much drama as they would need to post a viral article with stupid headlines like "Trouble In Hudson Paradise" and crying would just make it worse.

So, I took in a staggered breath saying to myself, "Nessa, you are a mature, level headed person. Don't react!" and with that I put on the most calm and believable smile on my face as I could and still keeping my eyes glued to the floor, excused myself and slowly made my way out of the hall.

I didn't just leave the hall, I walked out of Conrad. On my way, I saw Mrs.Smith who was probably busy with some other party. I walked over to her and asked her to give a piece of paper to Adrian as he had come with me here the other day and I was sure that she would recognise him immediately. As she nodded, I left with a sigh.

That piece of paper was supposed to be my speech...

Once I was outside, I called out for a taxi. There weren't many and considering the fact that it was a Friday evening, I wasn't so surprised and that I looked as if I had just fled from a murder scene didn't make it any better.

After a few failed attempts, I was pissed off and my previously buried emotions of humiliation and failure came back, hitting me like a truck. Tears pooled in my eyes and I let them flow. I most probably just lost the only chance I had at becoming the CEO. Who wants a freaking party meme to run their company afterall.

I took off my pumps and tossed them away angrily and found myself a bench nearby to rewind what just happened. I clutched my arms as the wind became colder by the minute. I did remember that the weather forecast said that it would start snowing tomorrow and I had conveniently forgotten my coat inside and there was no way that I was going back.

What was I to do now? I couldn't show my face to dad or demand to be the CEO after this. Rebecca got me real good this time. My one retort seven years ago just cost me my future. Tears kept rolling down my cheeks along with my not-so waterproof mascara.

Then suddenly I felt a warm embrace. I looked back to see that it was a black coat, too big for me to wear but just perfect for wrapping myself. I traced it to it's owner and my eyes met his blue ones.

I instantly looked down, making a useless effort to wipe off my drained mascara on my tear-stained cheeks. I didn't want him to see me like this. I felt so vulnerable and then we weren't exactly friends either. What was I supposed to say? Why was he even here?