― ix. memory of thy mother

𝓜𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝓣𝐡𝐲 𝓜𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

Harry jerked awake. He rubbed his face, the drawing-room coming in and out of focus. He sunk into the armchair, then jumped out in a panic. Edelyn was writhing on the sofa across the room, a string of incoherent words spilling from her bruised lips. Her blanket slipped from her body, soaked in a cold sweat. 

"Lyn!" He crouched beside her and lightly shook her arm. "Lyn, wake up. It's just a dream." His heart hammered in his chest. The expression on her face was pained — creases lined with anguish. "Lyn! Lyn, wake up!" he repeated. 

Remus suddenly rushed in. "Harry, what's—?" His eyes fell on Edelyn and he swept back out. 

Harry's stomach lurched and his fingers tightened around her arm. Her eyes fluttered behind closed lids. "Lyn..." he croaked. 

"What's wrong?" Sirius bolted in, ashen-faced. "What's happened?" 

Harry moved aside and watched as Sirius gently threaded an arm under Edelyn's back and pulled her upright. He leaned her to his chest and brushed a strand of hair from her face, sticky with sweat. A few struggled breaths, and then a scream wrenched from her throat. She gasped awake and thrashed. 

"Lyn — Lyn, look at me." Sirius cupped his hands over her cheeks and brought her eyes to meet his. "It was just a dream. You're safe. You're okay."

"M-mum," Edelyn stammered, body shaking. "Mum." 

Sirius frowned. "What...What about your mum, Lyn?" 

"I — I remember," she breathed. "I — I remember now. They — they wouldn't...They wouldn't stop!" She pressed her hands to her ears and squeezed her eyes. "The screaming...Make it go away. Please, make it go away!"

Tears brimmed Sirius' eyes and he wrapped her in his arms, hand rubbing circles on the small of her back. "No one is screaming, Lyn." He pressed a kiss to her temple. "She's not here." His voice cracked. "She's not here anymore." 

Later that afternoon, the silence in number twelve Grimmauld Place was suffocating. Edelyn's right thigh bobbed up and down, shaking the kitchen table. She stared at her hands, half-covered by snot-stained sleeves. She didn't look up when emerald flames lit in the fireplace, announcing the arrival of Albus Dumbledore. 

"Edelyn," the Headmaster greeted, face calm as he slipped into the seat across from her, reaching into his robes and pulling out a feather. "I would like you to make this feather float. A simple Levitation Charm will do," he instructed as he placed the feather on the table. 

She sniffled and blinked at him, glancing down at the feather before looking back up at him. "I...I don't understand. I'm underage. I can't do magic outside of school."