Happily Divorced?- Jack Barakat Oneshot

I was getting married today. Woohoo?

See, most women are excited and nervous for their wedding day, right? Not me. 

My parents had an arranged marriage, and so did my grandparents, and so on… So my parents obviously opted for that choice for me as well. I hadn't dated much and the guys that I had dated in my 25 years of existence made it clear that they weren't ‘the one’ so last year my mother and father began the search for my husband. The result? Brandon Harris. Australian, 25, average height, blonde hair, and blue eyes. Yeah I could see just by the description that a lot of women would find this man accompanied with a great personality irresistible, but me, well……

The only things Brandon and I had in common was that we both love to cook, go fishing, and shared an almost similar taste in music. So although I was happy that my parents found a match for me, he didn't feel like ‘the one’ for me.

I was fixing my earrings as my sister, and maid of honour, was zipping up my dress as I thought about who I get to see today. A lot of mine and Brandon’s relatives were flying in from various places around the world since both our parents wanted a big wedding. Brandon and I had made a pact that we would get to know each other’s friends during the reception tonight. I loved meeting new people, so hopefully they aren't boring.

——————

Well, I’m married! And I feel…hmmm…how do I feel? I’d say it feels weird. Maybe if I was totally in love with my husband it would feel different, but it looked like even he wasn't the happiest ever.

The sound of a fork hitting a glass was heard throughout the reception hall and everyone’s heads turned towards table 7, where Brandon’s friends were situated. A tall man with half black and half blonde hair stood up confidently, cleared his throat, and turned towards our table. Damn he was cute.

“Hi everyone, I’m Jack, a good friend of Brandon’s and I’d like to make a toast. I didn't think that Brandon would ever be tied down so fast, but hey, his new wife seems pretty cool. So I wish them happiness and good times from here on out. To the bride and groom!” He lifted up his glass and everyone took a sip of their drinks. Chants erupted for Brandon and I to kiss, so I just gave him a quick peck on the lips to shut up everyone.

Once dinner and dessert was over with, the dancing was in full swing. As I promised, I spent a lot of time with Brandon’s relatives and friends and was happy that they were fun people to be around. I had noticed Jack standing alone leaning against the bar with a drink in hand and decided to go talk to him.

“Hey! Theres the lovely bride! Congrats!”

I shrugged a little, “thanks, Jack right?”

“Yeah funny that we havent met before. I live in Jersey and Brandon told me that you guys live about 45 minutes from me.”

“Well now that I know, expect visits from me.”

“Damn, Brandon didn't hold back on that ring there. Wow!” Jack grabbed my hand and his eyes grew when he saw the gorgeous diamond ring on my ring finger, then his eyes shifted, “hey is that a Jack Skellington tattoo on your arm?”

“Yeah, he’s like my favourite character from any movie.”

“I’ve got Jack Skellington on my chest! That’s awesome! Hey did you know that Fall Out Boy did-”

I cut Jack off, “A song for that movie? Yeah I love them too.”

Jack laughed and smiled really wide, “seriously, how come we’ve never met before?! We probably have more in common than you and Brandon!”

I sighed really loud and Jack heard over the music, “hey, you okay?”

“Let me be honest with you, Jack. I really feel like Brandon isn't ‘the one’ for me. Other than a love for cooking, fishing, and liking only some of the same bands, I just don't think we belong together. I always thought that I’d end up with someone who loves me unconditionally and I feel like we both just settled because our parents set us up.” By now I felt a few tears falling down my cheeks. It felt good to get that out to someone and I thought I could trust Jack. “You know what I could really go for right now?”

Jack wiped my cheeks dry and said, “well I’m thinking, a nice drive in the country, followed by a cheap beer and pizza?”

I lifted my head up, stunned at how he seemed to read my mind, “Actually, yeah. That’s exactly what I was thinking. Hang on a sec.”

I left Jack momentarily to run up to Brandon who had completely shut out my side of the family all night and was hanging out with some of his friends, “I gotta go to the bathroom and with this dress, it’ll take a while.”

Brandon just gave me a thumbs up and I ran back to Jack, “come on. I have a limo, ya know?”

I grabbed his hand and pulled him along behind me, holding my dress in the other hand.

It’s funny, I thought I was supposed to be running out of the hall with my husband Brandon tonight, but, I think this was better.

Maybe Brandon wouldn't mind being just friends and happily divorced soon?