Chapter 10

Alexander

Max brought Melanie over and she refused to sleep unless I either held her or laid on the couch in my office with her until she fell asleep. And since I didn't have time to lay down with her, trying to calm her down until she fell asleep, I just let her sleep in my lap.

She tried telling me before she fell asleep, that she thought someone was trying to break into the house. I told her I'd have people check it out but I tried to reassure her that it was probably just a raccoon or a squirrel the had gotten through an open window and accidentally knocked something over.

I was typing on my computer when there was a knock on the door and the head of the pack troop, Isabelle, walked in. Isabelle was a close friend of mine as kids but we drifted apart because I was being trained for being alpha and the things happening with my mother and her dad training her to be the head of the troop.

"Sup, Alphie. We searched your house. It seemed like your window in the guest bedroom was broken from the outside and someone or something crawled in. We don't know yet what it was or who it was."

I nodded and shifted under Mel, who was still dead to the world. "Thank you." I said with no emotion behind my voice and started typing away.

"Who's the kid?" Isabelle asked. I looked down at Mel and then back up at my screen. "She's my mate." I said simply. Isabelle hummed. "Okay, Alph. Well, I'll let you get back to it." She said and left.

I sighed and got back to my work. Melanie moaned slightly and shifted in my lap. I looked back down at her and her eyes were opening. "Hey. Sleep well?" I ask as I kiss her forehead. She just hummed and cuddled more into me. "I slept fine." She yawned and just fell back asleep. I chuckled and pushed some of her hair out of her face.

I sigh, leaning back in my chair. I don't know why I just don't reject Melanie now. I mean, she's an amazing girl and she tries. But I'm not. On the inside, I'm broken and hurting. I'm a monster she doesn't deserve to be with. She deserves more than someone like me. But yet, here we are. About a month and a half into being mates.

I've tried letting her in, letting her help me with my pain. But it's been hard. Through the abuse and my dad...

I nearly jumped and didn't realize Melanie was staring at me. "Oh, hi. I thought you fell back asleep." I said. She yawned. "I was. But you think too loud." She said. I gave her a confused look. "You accidentally mind linked me. I heard your thoughts." She whispered and took my face in her hands. "I'm sorry Alex." She choked before tears ran down her face. "You didn't deserve any of that. I'm sorry.. You've been hurt in so many ways.. in ways I could never understand.. but I want you to know I'm here for you. I.. I love you. More than she did."

I sniffled and held Melanie against my chest. She set her head on my shoulder and hiccuped against me. "Mel.." I whispered, trying to calming her down. "You've been through so much. I didn't know.." She cried.

I sighed and rubbed her back. "It's fine. You don't have to worry." I told her. She pulled back and looked me in the eye. "I want you to promise me something."

I nodded. "Okay? What's that?" I asked. She wiped away her remaining tears before speaking again. "I want you to promise me that you won't keep yourself hidden with me. If you're hurting, please tell me. I don't want you to hide it. I know it's eating you up and i hate I can't help you."

I nodded. "Okay, Mel. I promise." I told her. She sniffled again and set her head back down on my shoulder. "Get back to work." She told me. I chuckled. "Yes, ma'am." I teased and scooted forward in my chair and started working again.