Chapter 29: Samael and Lilith

Lilith was trotting in a cold, windy forest. She had folded arms around herself, trying to keep warm, but she shivered nonetheless and coughed. She tripped on a wooden root raised from the ground and fell. She tried to stand up, but in vain - she had no strength left. She collapsed under the tree and gazed up at the snowy sky. She noticed an angel with black torn wings descend next to her, holding a dreadful scythe. He was dressed in black torn clothes, with little demonic skulls strung onto his waist. You might already guess it was I. She watched me with horror in her eyes.

"Reaper of hell..." 

She trembled. She was already informed by messenger Gabriel about the events occurred in the Garden of Eden (Adam's and Eve's banishment and my downfall. And, of course, she had received false information as if I were evil, just as I had requested). My heart fell heavy, seeing her misery. 

"I beg you, make it painless..." 

Tears fell down her cheeks.  She closed eyes and prepared for her end. 

She felt a warm touch instead of a cold slice. She reopened eyes, to see me knelt next to her, caressing her on the head.

"I did not come to take you away, Lilith".

"Huh? Then... why?"

I did not reply. I simply took her in my arms, swung my wings, and flew up into the sky.

"Ah!" 

She clung to my neck in order not to fall off. She was frightened. But then, she looked into my eyes, and perhaps, she noticed the softness I watched her with, for her beautiful brown eyes widened, and tears of gratitude filled them. She sniffed and placed her head to my chest.

I took her into a mountain cave and put her on animal skins I had gathered. I covered her with pelt blankets and made a fire to warm the place up. I sat by her side to tend to her illness. She watched me carefully as I was concocting a special potion, and asked:

"Holy Samael... Why are you doing this?"

"Don't call me 'holy'. You know it's been a long time since I resigned".

"You are holy. I know you did it all for the humankind... Now I'm sure of it".

"H... How did you figure out?" 

I was surprised she had guessed the truth behind the dreadful story I asked the angels to make up, as if I had tricked Adam and Eve for my selfish purposes, therefore, was punished by the High Forces and banished from heavens to rot in the underworld amongst demons.

"You were never evil, Holy Samael." Lilith coughed, and continued: "You heard my plea from the beginning, and made Zeev live long, even though, at one glance, you had refused to do so. You did it all simply because I had begged you. I was too foolish and blind to not see your kindness, accused you and the High Forces of being unjust, and even insulted my husband, Adam," a tiny tear fell from her eye. "I was truly a fool... Nevertheless, you forgave me right away as I apologized. Then, when the entire heavens discarded me and the High Forces realised I was beyond salvation, you did not give up on me, and begged them to give me another chance... You even risked losing your position in order to save my husband Adam and his new wife Eve from the possible threat of demons, and you went to hell just to kill demons and free some place for us human souls to dwell in before you would find a way to purify us. What's more, you took no credit for your actions, and tried to make us believe you were truly evil. I cannot even imagine how you can be so kind when you reap the lives of beings since your creation. You still try to preserve that light core which dwells in your heart and kindles so brightly... I was so ungrateful to you for all you had done! I cannot even show my proper gratitude now when you've come to save me..."

I caressed her on the head:

"You don't need to show gratitude, Lilith. I do this simply because I want to, and because I know I can. If you too do the best you can, you might as well be able to alter your current fate. After all, the High Forces never made the laws to be unchangeable. You, humans, have the greatest power within you: the power to make choices".

"But what can I do? Those choices are limited, to make us remain within the range of the High Forces' laws. But my heart goes beyond that! I... I love you, Samael! I love you yet I can't be with you because you're an angel and I'm a human!"

I blinked in a stupor - she really meant it? But I could see she did. So, she had feelings towards me too?

She started as she realised what she had just said, and gulped:

"No, forget what I've said just now... Please, don't get mad! Who am I to dare love an angel? It insults you, for sure..."

I chuckled and grabbed her in my arms.

"Wh... What are you doing?" 

She grew red. She couldn't believe I had affections towards her too - a sinful human.

"Well, since I am an angel dwelling in hell, there is only a single step left for me to turn completely infernal... so, I don't mind anymore". 

I touched her lips with my own. She widened eyes, but then closed them to feel the delight to its fullest.

I heard thunder and rain - the signs of my being discarded from the heavens once and for all. I knew I was an infernal angel now, and there was no way back for me. But, to be honest, I didn't mind. After all, I had all I ever needed - the cure to my soul blackened since birth...

Lilith was beside me."