xvii. you're not my boyfriend

xvii. YOU'RE NOT MY BOYFRIEND

"Why the tootsie roll do you always get on my nerves?" I groan while setting up my computer. "Seriously, it's like the Director is trying to punish me by grouping us together all the time."

"You're not a walk in the park either, Cupcake. Every time you open your mouth, my lifespan decreases about six months," Ace retorts.

"If that were true, I'd never stop talking."

"Shut the hell up."

Small lights flicker in and out of the dark room as we begin to bypass security measures in the mainframe. Ace starts to hack into the left side while I take the right. I dig around for the CPUs and connect my computer to the hardware.

"Aren't you just a Prince Charming? You always say what every girl wants to hear," I sneer.

"I might be a goddamn prince but just look at me, I'm pretty goddamn charming..." Ace follows up the uncalled for comment with a wink.

"You're about as charming as anthrax."

"At least I'm not the human equivalent of HIV."

"Are we now just naming STDs you have?" I smile. "Well in that case, you forgot chlamydia, syphilis, and herpes. Shall I continue?"

"So creative. Don't think too hard again, you might sprain your brain," Ace spits.

I roll my eyes so far back I get a headache.

With five minutes on the clock, I'm two-thirds of the way through. I look over to see him working slightly slower than I did. A smirk tugs on my lips.

"But seriously," Ace states. "I don't want you to have to kiss anyone for a mission. Especially Ethan."

The return to a more serious conversation slightly surprises me. After all, he had just compared me to HIV.

"You know you're not my boyfriend, right?"

"I'm your supervising officer though."

Ace said that fact as if it should explain the limitation he put on me.

"I didn't realize being my supervising officer suddenly meant you could control my every move," I mock.

He furrows his brows in disappointment in my direction. Suddenly, we heard footsteps approaching closer and closer to the room.

"Shit," Ace whispers. "Come over here."

He grabs me by my wrist and pulls me to the maintenance closet in the left corner. The space was cramped, so Ace and I are uncomfortably shoved together in the small space.

We hear the door creaking open and footsteps enter into the mainframe room. I'm completely physiologically frozen as the footsteps walk around the room.