Chapter Seven: Kindness

"No, Harry, you listen," said Hermione. "We're coming with you. That was decided months ago - years, really."

_Hermione, Deathly Hallows_

Tom bumped into Abraxas on the way to the library.

"I told her to wait, don't worry," Abraxas smiled, patting Tom on the shoulder. He was the only one allowed close enough to do this. "She was only worried that you wouldn't turn up; she didn't care about why you didn't turn up."

Tom smirked tightly in response. He had taught Abraxas the fine art of Legilimency several months ago and his fellow Slytherin showed some admirable aptitude for it.

"Nott thinks we should discuss our enterprises with the Ravenclaws," murmured Tom, bending close to the other's ear. "If he's still in a pained huddle, please kindly remove him before I return. I am sure that I will otherwise experience an immensely strong urge to do it again."

"Nott's an idiot, Tom," Abraxas said reassuringly. "And he will burn in hell at some point. However, for the moment, we need him, and his idiocy, to help us gain followers."

"Me," Tom corrected gently. "Help me gain followers."

"Of course, Tom," replied Abraxas patiently. "But we still need him."

"Fine," Tom said grumpily. "I'll be back in an hour. Make sure that scum is gone."

And he strode off down the corridor, cloak billowing behind him in an eerie representation of his future self, Abraxas' kind blue eyes following his every move.

*

Ginevra jumped when Riddle sat down opposite her, silent as a ghost, this doubly reinforced by his pale pallor. Dark magic did that to a person, she remembered uneasily. Dark magic not only unhinged your mind and soul, but drew strength you didn't know existed from your very core and drained you mentally and physically.

"Are you alright, Riddle?" She asked, concerned. He wasn't meant to have created any Horcruxes yet.

"Yes," he replied quietly, deep in thought.

Ginevra snapped her book shut to get his attention. He looked up immediately, startled and gave her an inquiring glance.

"I'll do the project, Riddle," she said, surprising herself. "You look as though you'll fall asleep on the Amato Animo Animato Animagus incantation," she pointed at the book open before him containing the chant.

"I won't!" Tom protested weakly. 

He had to keep up the image of a strong, omnipotent dark lord. He couldn't let the insufferable know-it-all do their project all by herself. Even if he did feel a sudden inclination to yawn.

"You will," Ginevra spoke softly, and she took his hand, placing it on his freezing cheek. Tom closed his eyes as she touched him and she almost thought he had fallen asleep. "You're exhausted."

Tom's eyes fluttered open, dark brown orbs dazed and unfocused.

"But why?" Asked Tom. "Why am I so tired, Granger?" 

He sounded despairing.

Ginevra moved her head closer. 

"What have you done, Riddle?" She whispered. Their lips were almost touching. "What did you do to yourself?"

"I_ don't_ know," he replied, his voice barely more than a hiss as Ginevra leant back again. 

His head was nearly resting on the desk.

"I'll get Malfoy to take you back to your common room," said Ginevra, and she cast a beautiful Patronus, a silver otter. 

Tom watched it admiringly, before drifting off into a light and untroubled sleep, the first for a long time.

*****

A.N. They were so close! But not quite there - it's too soon. 

Tom shows a more vulnerable side to Hermione/Ginevra (I keep writing the wrong name!) and she shows him a likewise kinder side. Also, more Tabraxas bromance!

Thank you for reading!