In the Between

Down below, Azura blasted Eris with a pattern of blue and white threads, knocking the goddess of chaos off her feet with a blast of concentrated water and wind. Shakra hurtled a second spell, wrapping Aphrodite up in pulsing threads of magic. Gabriel and Maya were sprinting towards Alice, faces grim.

                Alice thought later, that it seemed to happen in seconds. Like everything had turned slow and syrupy in that moment. She knew, somehow, that something very bad was about to happen. Aphrodite was screaming, a high, siren-like wail. She split the threads holding her arms in place and started towards Azura with rage written on her face. Eris sat up, shaking her head, looking unhappy. Her hair was clinging to her face and her neck, and her tattered gown was dripping fat droplets of water on the floor. She didn’t stand up, just raised her arms above her head, a smile creasing one corner of her mouth.

                Alice felt the foundations of the building tremble.

                “No!” Adonis was on his knees, holding the side of his face. He turned to Eris. “No, don’t—”

                It was too late. The impact of the goddess’ power shook the floor, and Alice stumbled, slamming both knees on the ground as she fell. A rumble from overhead made her look up, and her heart sank into her stomach. The ceiling was cracking, slowly at first, increasing speed as she watched. Eris’ laughter echoed around the room as the building shook. Chunks of the ceiling began to fall around her, and she watched in horror as the heavy beam that ran all down the center of the room began to crack and slope downwards. It fell, spinning twice, and then slammed to the ground with an earth-shattering boom. Screams and dust filled the air. The Halfmoon order had leapt out of the way, scrambling to avoid huge chunks of the roof as it caved in. It was still caving in.

                Somewhere in the chaos Maya was screaming. Alice knew it was Maya because she was screaming Gabriel’s name over and over. She felt hot and cold all over, sick and dizzy. This couldn’t be happening.

                Rocks rained down around her. No, not rocks, pieces of the ceiling. The stage vibrated beneath her, Altair was staggering across it, arms outstretched, panic in his bright eyes.

                “Alice!”

                Another loud crack split the ceiling above them, and a wooden beam crashed down between them. Alice stood there, paralyzed, as the ceiling collapsed. Altair was thrown off his feet, and then a second, larger beam cracked and fell, sending a section of the roof the size of a car down. Altair’s sharp cry was cut off as he vanished from sight.

                A scream ripped out of her, and Alice lunged forward. “NO! Altair!”

                Then the stage crumbled beneath her, and there was nothing holding her up anymore, and Alice plummeted down into the darkness.