Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I did wish things were different but they weren’t. The fact that I was in the heart of a war zone made that all crystal clear. The whispers that were erupting from around me, made my skin crawl, because I knew them whispers were about me. The brief side glances thrown my way was a clear indicator. As I hitched the straps up higher on my shoulder, I felt a light touch on my forearm, a gentle weight rested there.

I peered over my shoulder, at the petite form settled behind me. Her delicate blonde curls framed the gentle love heart face she possessed. As each second passed by she reminded me of Leigh, the way she peered into your soul, with no judgement, but you know she knows everything. Her daunting blue eyes skims your whole body, so intensely, that just by one look, she has everything.

Her eyebrows joined together slightly at my clear discomfort to her presence. I couldn’t stop my eyes from searching her whole being, she just looked so friendly, and I couldn’t comprehend why. I mean, why would someone feel the intense need to even associate with someone like me?

“Maggie, right?” A harmonic voice whispered from beside my shoulder. I threw my head slightly around and my eyes fell on a petite blonde. She possessed the most full pouty red lips.

I wish I had her lips. I thought before I could even process it.

For some reason she looked familiar, I had this knowing feeling that I knew her. I didn’t think she was a stranger and I knew for the life of me, that this wasn’t my first time meeting her either. I couldn’t will myself to speak, instead I gazed intently at her perfect porcelain features. I didn’t answer, I was cautious, cautious of this perfect stranger stood in front of me.

“It is Maggie, isn’t it?” She asked again for reassurance, only then did I take notice of the unique raspy voice that she possessed. It was unusual to say the least, but alluring in the same way. I couldn’t make the simplest of movements of opening my mouth and answering her. My mouth just wasn’t working on my own accord. Instead, I stared into her bright grey eyes, everything about her seemed to be so unusual, but yet so familiar.

Her eyes narrowed in confusion, the uncertainty was shining through them as she continued to concentrate on me. She pursed her lips at me, and that’s when I spoke, “Yes,” Was all that managed to blurt out. A beginning of a smile rested on her lips, and that smile gave away the answer of who this beautiful stranger was before she even told me.

“Nice to see you again Maggie, I hope you remember me, it’s Penny.” And in that moment, I swear I had found someone I was not looking for. The memories flashed before I could stop them.

Flashback:

My feet were skimming through the smooth silky grass, as the laughter erupted I kept running. I knew she was behind me, I could hear her voice, and how I knew it was her was the rasp in her voice that was always the giveaway. I couldn’t stop my own laugh from rolling out of my mouth, she was my best friend, my only friend.

“That’s not fair Maggie,” She shouted from behind me breathlessly, “You know I’m not the athletic one of us.” I laughed because I was always the athletic one, so there was no way she would catch me, and Penny’s forte was makeup, shoes and designers, not running or any sort of physical activity. I glanced behind me to see her bent over resting her hands on her knees, panting furiously. I let out a ruffled laugh at her attempt of fitness.

She held her hand up, trying to hush my laughter, but it was no use because it just made me laugh even more. I glanced at my phone and it was passed five, meaning we had twenty minutes to get home before both of our guardians would come looking for us.