45 | ACT II, SCENE XVII

P R E V I O U S L Y

It was her.

HEXHAM PALACE, SKELDERGATE, ALLINGTON

EDWINA

"EXCUSE ME, MY LORD, MY Lady," a haunting voice fashioned of rough silk muttered into my ear, "will you mind terribly if I borrow my wife for a moment?"

I recognized his scent and the faint whiff of cologne and aftershave, his warmth and electric touch as Tristan wrapped a hand around my slender waist, his eyes glimmering yet very, very dark. His mouthwatering lips turned into a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

Only I could see the anger under the smile.

Furious. He was furious.

He was wearing the same clothes as the first time I'd met him at Amphitrite's wedding. Dark blue shirt, finely cut black blazer that sharpened the planes of his smart figure. The clever bastard had deliberately left the top button of his shirt open, revealing his sculpted white throat.

I really wanted to kiss every hot damn inch of that neck.

I decided that Tristan Valmont was deliberately tempting me.

He raised a dark eyebrow sharply, running a hand through his jet black waves with careless abandon and held out his other hand with a questioning look in his mysterious eyes. Uranus alone knew how he managed to look so handsome even when demanding and angry, his sheer beauty was like a sort of punishment, a test to see how far I could control myself. Several of the females were looking longingly at him, trying to catch his eye. He, however, did not even glance at the other woman, and those midnight dark eyes were on me alone, holding a sudden fascination as I were the only person existing in his world.

I glared fiercely at the women staring at my husband.

"Of course, of course," Halette was animatedly chatting as she gave me a knowing smile. She nudged Vincent shyly, and they began to make their way to the other guests. She walked past me and stopped to whisper in my ear. "If you don't kiss him, I will."

"As if I'll let you," I hissed possessively, as Tristan led me through the crowds and she disappeared with a wave. His grip on me was strong as he nestled me close to him and I leaned in, sighing.

"Come, woman," he said quietly, steering the both of us clear of the crowd to find somewhere quiet to talk. I gave the crowd half smiles, he merely nodded briefly, walking with the impatience of a man who had better things to do. I didn't say anything and neither did he. Finally, he wordlessly led me to a door at the far end of the hall where the crowd was thinnest, and opened it, his facade clearly breaking as a frown took over. He politely held the door open for me, the picture of perfect chivalry. I stepped in, and then he entered as well, bolting the door shut.