24

"What are you doing in here?"

Ray sits relaxed in Dad's desk chair, looking like he belongs there. He fiddles with Dad's lighter that's been sitting there on the desk since he got arrested.

"Thinking."

I notice Dad's laptop open in front of Ray, something up on the screen. "How'd you get into that?"

"Val's hacking skills."

Walking to the other side of the desk, I try to look at what's on it but Ray closes it.

"Better you don't know anything," he says.

"I already know the shit he did in that sketchy business. Nothing will scare me away." I go to open it but he grabs my hand.

"Trust me, you don't wanna know anything."

Well now I need to know.

He looks at my hand that's half covered with my hoodie sleeve and let's me go, looking back up at my face.

"Don't you have dance class right now?"

"You're taking notice of my life?" I joke with a dead voice then sigh. "I've gone to it like once in two months. With everything going on, I don't want to right now." I sit on top of the desk and swing my legs.

"Wanna go a run with me?"

"You're only asking that so i'll say I'm too scared to go outside."

"You're admitting you're scared?" He gasps.

"Glad you're amused. Maybe one day you can ask me to do something with you cause you actually want to."

"Just because I wanna be alone sometimes doesn't mean I don't wanna be with you."

I fake laugh, "It's fine, Ray. I'm not being serious. I get it if you don't wanna be around me – I know i'm annoying."

He stares at me with a blank face. "Are you done?"

I nod slightly and slide off the desk onto my feet.

"Yeah, you're annoying sometimes." He stands up, "But you're also someone that no one could live without. I mean, what the fuck would we have done if that dude got you."

I shrug, "Nada."

He roles his eyes, "Come here," he holds out his arms.

"What are you doing?"

"Hugging you. Now hurry up before I change my mind."

I smile, stepping towards him and he embraces me. He's two years younger than me but he's still much taller than me. I rest my head against his shoulder comfortably, but the whole situation is unusual. Ray and I never do this kind of thing. He never does this kind of thing with anyone.

"This is weird," I state.

"Yep." He pulls back. "Let's not do that again."

The doorbell rings and I take that as my cue to get out of here. I'm surprised to find Wes, knocking for once instead of just coming in.