1: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 1

"Are you sure that you need help tonight, I doubt anybody's going to be coming in tonight."

"Yes, you're the only one I could get a hold of and I'm the only one working tonight. I need your help tonight and I'll pay you double for this shift... please!"

I sighed. "Fine, I'll be there in ten minutes or so." I replied, closing my cell phone in frustration.

Tonight was New Year's Eve and I was just called into work for the night... oh the joy.

My name's Sophie Campbell and I'm currently in my senior year at Jackson High. I also have a part-time job at the coffee shop two streets away from where I live.

I was supposed go over to my best friend Piper's house tonight to celebrate the new year but she called me this morning saying she had woken up with a bad stomach ache and had caught the flu. I was disappointed but I understood that she didn't want me to get sick, so I was planning on making a party of three tonight in my room... me, myself and I.

That plan went down the toilet two minutes ago when my boss Annie, the twenty-seven year old owner of Kaffeine, called and instructed me to report to work for the night.

Seriously, who is going to come into the shop and buy a latte or chocolate biscotti on New Year's Eve?

Placing my cellphone into the back pocket of my jeans, I threw on my brown leather jacket and headed downstairs.

"Mary, Dennis, I'm taking the car and going to work!" I yelled, addressing my aunt and uncle.

That's another thing you need to know about me; ten years ago, my parents were coming home from a business dinner and were hit by a drunk driver. They died instantly and ever since then, my aunt and uncle on my Dad's side took me and my older brother Max into their home. Don't get me wrong, I love my aunt and uncle a lot and they treat us like their own children, it's just sometimes, a girl misses her parents.

"You're going to work now... at 10pm on New Year's Eve?" my aunt asked, coming into the hallway with my car keys in her hand.

I took the keys from her and shrugged. "Annie called me saying she needed help tonight and that I was the only one she could get a hold of. I'm getting paid double and I'm free tonight so it works I guess." I replied. "I'll probably be back around one or two, don't wait up." I said as I hugged her quickly and headed out into the cold night air.

There in the driveway sat my beauty... my red 2011 Chevy Cruze. It was a present from my aunt and uncle after I turned sixteen. They didn't want Max driving me around anymore so, as soon as I got my license a couple weeks after I turned 16, we headed straight to the car lot. It was a nice enough car and it didn't cost a whole lot of cash so this was the car I chose. Since then, I have been the driving monkey for my friends to and from school.

I got into my car and pulled out of the driveway heading down the street for the short ten minute drive it took to get to the coffee shop. I could've walked to work but I felt way to lazy for that right now, so, I chose to drive.

I pulled into one of the many open parking spots in front of Kaffeine and went in through the front door.

"Wow Annie, I'm seeing all the customers around here. I totally understand why you had to call me into work tonight." I said sarcastically as I walked around the counter and grabbed my apron.

She smirked. "I said I needed your help tonight, I didn't say it was because of an overload of customers. I actually just need your help to keep me occupied for the next three or four hours until I close." she replied as I finished tying up my apron around my waist.