➶ 7

I WANTED TO RUIN them the way they wanted to ruin me. They found amusement in hurting others and wanted to assert dominance in any way possible, targeting and singling individuals they knew they could harm without punishment. There was nothing I could do but endure it until graduation. "God, what a time to be alive," the cheery voice sighed out in awe. "These males may be assholes, but they're beautiful,"

Remaining quiet as my eyes roamed around the dining room, I repressed the urge to empty my stomach. With all they did, how could everyone still stare at them in admiration? The difference in wealth was vividly clear, and they loved the power they held. "Are you even listening to me?" poked Asra with a frown.

"Thanks, by the way, for the new uniform," I hesitated, straightening the skirt out.

She pulled me into a hug almost immediately, "And I'd buy another one of those cheap things again if you asked," Asra smiled, popping one of my fries into her mouth. "They're announcing the participants soon."

"Why does she get your fries?" demanded Zavian childishly. I rolled my eyes, pushing my bowl towards him. His mood shifted, "You might be annoying every other day, but I like you today,"

My lips twitched in a small smile as I watched the two aimlessly flirt. It reminded me of how simple things once were.

At a small tap of glasses, the atmosphere grew quiet in anticipation, "As all of you may know, I'm Sebastion," he introduced with a type of confidence that only one could wish. "This is the moment you have all anxiously awaited!" he grinned, "Please check below your table where you are currently sitting,"

With an unimpressed snort, I drawled, "There is absolutely no way-" my words drifted off as I felt the roughness of an envelope. My breath hitched as my eyes darted to Asra and Zavian in panic. She snatched it out of my grasp as I hid it in my hands. "They're going to fucking ruin me,"

The crimson wax seal stared at me mockingly. "For the fortunate twenty students who received a letter, please feel free to read it,"

Asra hadn't hesitated before pushing it towards me.

WIth my name written in large, bold, and beautiful calligraphic letters, I let out a sigh of dismay. These people hated me as it was, but throwing me into a mix of males that the girls here would kill for was crossing the line.

Calista Lockhart,

Congratulations, you have been invited to participate in this year's annual, 'The Heartbreak Society Games!' And we, the committee, formally welcome you with a custom letter.

The attendees and the success of students are what has built a name for the academy. And while we value academics, we also value the time to live in the moment. Thus, leading to the creation of the notorious event. We strive to imprint a memorable, entertaining, and unforgettable year for everyone—including you.

What is the Heartbreak Society Games?
The exclusive
game is invite-only. Twenty participants, including yourself, have been invited. You cannot refuse, and you cannot refuse participation as there will be dire consequences. We know all your secrets, and we know what you are hiding.

Throughout the duration of the year, you will work toward one specific goal—break August Athen Laurent's heart. You are also encouraged to mingle with the other participants, aiming to break their hearts, as a means for additional points. When you are aware that someone has fallen in love with you, you must make them admit the three words, "I love you." In this situation, it will be up to you how you will break their heart. Whether they are with words or actions, we are watching.

For example, as you may still be overwhelmed, they tell you that they love you along with a romantic gesture. How will you react? Well, you remark that you have been using him. His brother is, after all, heir to the company. (We have favoured you, in particular, Calista. The other participants have only received the bare minimum)

One winner for each gender, which depends on the number of points you have accumulated.

Now, what will you get when you win?
That is the million-dollar question. Our connections surpass anything and everything. Ask, and it will be delivered. The man who claims to have all the luxuries in life is always missing something.

It will, indefinitely, be interesting to see how this year will unfold. Good luck, Calista. We're betting on you.

And please, refrain from breaking anything that is not the heart.

May the best heartbreaker win.

THE HEARTBREAK SOCIETY

PS. YOU WERE THE LOVED CHILD OF THE MEDIA. YOU DISAPPEARED AFTER THE INCIDENT...

They knew of the incident that never made it to the media. No one should have had any information about it. It led me to remain homeschooled throughout my entire life and fear (now overcame) people as a whole. "This cannot be happening to me," I rubbed my temples, "I don't have time for a stupid game."

Asra gasped as if I had said the most offending thing, "This is the type of event that people would pay for," she widened her eyes, reading the letter. "They don't know the incident, Calista," she brushed off lightly, "They know of it only,"

Taking a chance to look up, I gulped when I found the hundreds of envious eyes pointed in my direction. They spoke in small chatter amongst each other, but I was sure they were of conversations that I was better of not knowing.

"Apologies to the hope of those crushed, better luck next year!" the voice interrupted, he shrugged, still grinning. "And for those invited, we are all excited for what's in store!" Sebastion winked at the nearby girl, laughing as she squealed in awe. "Good luck, and let the games begin!"