2: method to madness

"You know my bones, I know your scars..."

-

-

My life without Lip Gallagher was simplicity.

The air was easier to breath, and the rumble in my heart lulled to a soft hum. My stomach didn't storm with butterflies in the form of tangled nerves, and my blood didn't rush from hot adrenaline, interlacing with desperate thoughts of his love.

My life without Lip Gallagher was quiet.

The calm after the storm.

Though, after he left, it wasn't easy. A part of my heart went with him, and in its wake, left a blinding ache.

It was an adjustment to get used to, because this time, it wasn't me leaving him. This time around, I wasn't running from anything. I stood still, while his world crashed beneath his feet and he struggled to pick up the ashes. With nothing left to give me but his broken pieces, he asked for me to wait. He asked me to be patient. In his drunken state, he told me that he loved me. They were words that he hardly spoke.

He told me to wait, and I wanted to.

But a few weeks into his absence, I realized that my life consisted in a waiting state.

I waited for my breakdown. I waited for my addiction to take over. I waited to recover.

And I waited for Lip more times than I could count.

I realized I was done standing still. My grace period was over, and I needed to grow the fuck up and move with the pace of my world.

My heart would always belong to Lip, and if we were ever going to be a thing, then he could wait for me.

They tell you the heart grows fonder with distance, but as my heart stands in front of my apartment with his hands in his jeans, I can't help but feel that our distance wasn't enough.

It was too soon.

At loss for words, I gripped tighter onto my keys. His blonde hair grew longer since the last time I saw him, but those blue eyes, they were still as shiny as I remembered.

His mouth quirked up on one side while he shoved poker chips into his pocket. "Surprised?" Lip's voice was soft as he strode closer to me.

Surprised wouldn't begin to explain the start of it. I wasn't angry or upset with him, I really had no reason to be. I was mainly confused given the timing. He was out a lot sooner than I thought.

I pushed all my surprised thoughts away and focused on the truth. Lip stood in front of me with a bright smile on his face that glowed, and it was beauty.

I shook my head and laughed before bounding over to him with wide arms. Once he was close enough, I slammed into him, taking him back a few steps, and wrapped my arms around his middle. With my cheek pressed against his chest, I smiled till my cheeks hurt.