Chapter Five: The Road to Gondor

It was the clanging of keys that awoke Robin from his restless sleep.

He jolted with a start, sitting up from his position slumped in the corner. Sleep clouded his eyes, his stomach rumbling as it was awoken.

For the love of all things orcish, he was starving. 

It took him a moment to realize that a lithe figure stood in the door of his cell, flanked by two elven guards. As Robin blinked into reality, he realized it was one of the twins.

Elladan... he narrowed his eyes. Or was is the other one... Elrohir?

"I didn't expect a visit," Robin grumbled, pushing himself to his feet. "Or I would have cleaned up my lovely abode."

The twin scowled-- it was Elrohir, Robin realized. He would never forget that look; from so many months ago, leaving the ellon in the very same cell they stood in now.

"I cannot believe Estel wants anything to do with your stench," Elrohir muttered, gesturing the guards forward. "He needs to fix his priorities."

The other two elves grabbed his arms and before Robin could blink, his wrists were secure in a thin, silvery rope. Elven rope, he realized with a silent curse.

"I should start charging for my presence," Robin gave the rope a useless tug. "I bet I could live like a king with all of this demand."

Elrohir's eyes narrowed until they were dark, menacing slits. Robin gulped, cursing his quick tongue.

Then the elf turned, stalking from the cell. Robin stumbled as he was pushed after him, biting hard on his tongue.

They went back up the stairs, toward the outside dining hall beyond where they had entered the day before. Passing Noldor stared as Robin moved by, whispering among themselves.

He stared back, fighting the urge to wink at the wide-eyed elleths.

Upon arriving at the great hall, he first noticed Elanor, with her back to him at the table. Gimli sat beside her, Thralor fast asleep in his chair across from the two of them.

Gimli and Elanor picked at piles of crisp green lettuce on plates, with golden goblets in front of them. But Elrohir moved past the two, and Robin then noticed Legolas sitting at another table with Elladan.

"Here he is," Elrohir muttered as they approached.

"Here I am indeed," Robin smirked. "So what is this, my own little welcoming party? Do I get a citywide tour? A cake, perhaps?"

"Have you considered gagging him?" Elladan groaned. "I don't think I can take this for the rest of the way to Gondor."

Robin's attention snapped to the elf. "You're coming?"

Elladan returned his stare with a hard look, the dark blue of his eyes flashing. "Is that a problem, Hood?"

Robin resisted the urge to curse the Valar above. His chances of escape just took a flying leap into the grave. "Only a couple hundred."

"Is the poor thief scared of my brother dearest?" Elrohir flounced down beside Legolas, resting an eblow on his shoulder. "Don't worry, I argued against him accompanying us as well."

Robin's eyes snapped to the younger twin. Oh, this was just getting better and better.

As if to relieve the tension, Legolas chuckled lightly, taking a sip of his goblet. "Estel will be gladdened to see both of you."

Eru, Robin rolled his eyes, withholding a huff. "So, there's no party?"

A footstep sounded behind him, and Robin whirled around.