Chapter 30: Lily's Resolve

Samael paused again. He had fallen in remembrances.

"Hey..."

He turned to Lily with a questioning gaze.

"So, how did that help humans reconnect with their souls?" she asked.

"That's where your boy comes in," Samael pointed on Incubus, who carried a proud smile.

"Huh?"

"It's simple," Incubus answered instead of Samael, who was still fallen into thoughts. "When Lilith gave birth to me, as I was her and Lord Samael's son, I turned out to be a demon of dreams. Dreams are what connect people to their soul memories. I rule upon dreams and help people maintain a contact with their souls, even though small".

Lily widened eyes - she had never thought dreams could connect people's minds to their souls!

"That's... amazing! So, that was your idea from the beginning?" she looked at Samael.

"Huh?" Samael awoke from the thoughts, "Oh, yeah".

"I see," Lily smiled, "So, that is why people say dreams are demonic".

"Yeah..." Samael nodded, "But it's not right to characterize it only as a bad thing. It is what saved your lives, after all. Due to seeing dreams every night after Incubus' birth, humans were able to reconnect with their souls. Then, after death, they gained the ability to reincarnate and get purified. After the High Forces and my brother Michael brought a saviour to this world, finally, the souls who dwelt in hell in my palace and those who had reincarnated and become purified, gained the ability to return back to heavens and rejoin the High Forces, so the peace and balance was brought back to this world. Even though the number of completely-purified souls was small, they still existed. The most important is - people gained a chance to be saved".

"Wow, amazing..." 

Lily was astounded - so, her previous incarnation Lilith, was, in fact, the saviour of the humankind? 

"But, why didn't Lilith get a chance to return to heavens, then? She did a good thing, didn't she?"

"She could not go back. Because of mating me - the angel made of black energy - and giving birth to a demon, she was blighted by the black energy which consumed her soul for long. Only after ages did I succeed to get that darkness off her, and send her weakened soul up here to reincarnate, so you were born," Samael looked at her with sad eyes, where tiny tears twinkled, "I am so sorry, Lily - the way you are now is my fault... I damned you to blackness to save the humankind, and you suffered the most from it, even though I wanted you to suffer the least..." he couldn't hold himself, and a little tear sprung down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away. "After that, it is only natural for me to guard your soul as none of the angels has agreed to patronize you. Even so, this will hardly be sufficient to make up for the evil I've caused you. Even when I love someone all I can do is torment them..." 

He turned away to hide the tears he shed. The bitter anguish which suffocated his heart had burst out. Lily watched him in surprise - was he really crying? Could the devil really cry, for a human?

Incubus sighed once saw his deathly father in such a miserable state. After all, he knew too well how greatly his father truly suffered, blaming it all on himself.

Samael cried like a child, the whole sorrow gushing out of his heart. He felt a warm hug from the behind. He started and turned back, to see the tiny girl cuddle with him:

"I cannot really remember how I felt back in my previous incarnation, but I'm a hundred percent sure I didn't really care about my blight deep at heart, since it permitted me to stay in hell and be beside you... I bet you'd be a great boyfriend".

"How... How can you say such things?! I've done so much evil to you!"

"Evil?" Lily put a finger to her chin, "Well, if we evaluate the whole story you've just told me, and also reflect upon how you've behaved since you revealed yourself as my guardian angel, all I can see is the good you've done for me... Perhaps because you're the devil you cannot tell the good from the bad when you do it?"

Samael blinked in a stupor:

"How can you look so happy? You've had such a hard time even in this incarnation!"

"Duh, I've already lived out that foolish time. Now starts the best part after I've come to know you. Say, Sammy, will you continue being my guardian, but this time, without the two of us quarrelling all the time?"

Samael's cheeks grew red:

"S... Sammy?"

"I guess that's a 'yes'," Lily chuckled, "That's it, then!"

Samael was dumbfounded. He felt Lily cuddle with his chest. He melted. He wrapped his arms around the little girl and hugged her tightly:

"Thank you... for your forgiveness".

"Stop that. No one thanks people for gratitude".

Samael smiled as he watched her:

Yes, you haven't changed at all, Lilith.

Incubus got happy to see his parents get along so well:

"Hurrah! We're a great family again!"

"No. Lily and I are a couple again. You're still grounded. Go back to hell," Samael puckered at him.

"Okay..." Incubus sighed and stood up, ready to vanish in black smokes.

"Incubus..."

"Huh?" he looked back, to see Lily's kind beam.

"You're a good boy. I hope to see you again".

Incubus grew red.

"Sure, I'll check on you from time to time! Um, if father permits it..." he fearfully glanced at Samael.

"If you behave well you might get a chance," Samael frowned. "Now vanish".

"Really? Hurrah!" Incubus waved hand at Lily: "Goodbye! See you later!"

"See you!" Lily waved back.

Incubus vanished in black smokes. Lily turned to Samael with a smile:

"Now what?"

"I have to go too. I'm sure they're going to mess things up if I'm not there. If you ever need me, just draw the sign and I'll appear," he got ready to vanish in black smokes too.

"Wait!" Lily sprang up, "I have another question!"

"Huh? What is it?"

"Back when you were narrating about our past, well... Who's Layla, anyway?"

Samael started. Then he turned away, with a grim look:

"Please, Lily, never ask me that again". 

He vanished. Lily blinked in stupefaction:

Why... As if I've found out his whole story, yet he's still an enigma. 

She sighed and fell back onto her bed. 

Do whatever you want, Samael. I'll still find out who Layla is.