Heat the Frying Pan

In two days time the Hatfield clan had run off or shot a total of 3 more deputized Kentucky men, sending each body back across the Tug

In two days time the Hatfield clan had run off or shot a total of 3 more deputized Kentucky men, sending each body back across the Tug. But as far as actual McCoy sightings went, there wasn't many.

But there was more trouble than the fued brewing in Logan county.

As they had nearly every night, Cap, Chyna, Cotton road with Jim and Elias to the saloon. "I smell burnt hickory..." Cotton said, Chyna peered around Cottons shoulder looking down the path where the town lay just in the distance, there was a soft glow.

"A fire?" Elias questioned as they halted their horses. "Well we'll know in a minute wont we?" Jim said stuffing a pinchful of tobacco in his mouth.

The closer they got the brighter the glow became, orange and yellow lights dancing in the dark of the new moon. A small crowd had gathered a safe distance from the fire. Mostly patrons of the saloon aa well as the working girls.

"Oh no..." Cap exhaled holding up his hand to stop the others. He squinted to get a better look, though he was praying against what he was seeing. Groups of people were working to get each other out of the fire, others were patting down those who were burning. Shrill and terrible screams shot through the air like bullets.

Caps jaw fell open and his eyes darted around as he tried to follow the comotion. "Uncle Jim..." Cap said slowly "yeah?" Cap found it impossible to take his eyes away. "You know I'd never ask you to watch Chyna for me unless I had no other choices right? I need you to get 'er inside the saloon, tell Luella to tae her upstairs an lock her up." Cap instructed. He gave the reigns of his horse a flick "don't let her outside, drag her in if you gotta" Cap shouted back as he tore for the fire at the end of town.

"Wait!" Chyna called after him. Jim chuckled "this outta be fun!" He said turning to look back at Chyna. "Put up your best fight." He added. "Where's Cap goining?" Cotton asked. "To help I guess." Chyna answered.

Cotton and Chyna dismounted and tied the horse to the post outside the Saloon. The smoke in the air was heavy, and it was hard to see. Chyna let out a wail at what she could see, no amount of smoke could mask the towering flames that had swallowed the Shanty. Chyna ran for it, but found herself snatched back. Jim took her by her elbow and yanked with such force it caused her to cry out.

"Stop it!" Cotton yelled. "You heard Capb the boy said I could drag her." Said Jim with a pleased grin. "That might be a bit much...dont ya think Jim?" Elias murmured. "Nope, now come one you little trollop into the damn building" Jim said. Chyna failed against him, but found herself thrown inside.

"Luella!" Jim called, the girl quickly came scurrying over from were she had been peeping out the window. "Oh its terrible! All the screamin!" Luella gasped. "Take this one upstairs. Dont let her out for nothin. If I see her down here I'll hobble her." Jim said. Luella nodded and catefully took Chynacs hand. Tears leeked down chynacs face as she looked upon Jim with all yhe hatred she could muster.