Chapter Seventeen

Dedicated to mariaola2000, who sent me the longest, funniest, most motivational message I have ever read. It honestly cracked me up and encouraged me to keep going. I hope this lives up to your expectations!
Xx Divine Romance

~~~~~

When Suzanna finally managed to leave the village home, Samuel was waiting for her outside. Suzanna was surprised but pleased.

"What did you think?" Suzanna asked as soon as she had reached him.

"You told the story perfectly. I am sure the children will remain inspired for a long time," Samuel complemented. Suzanna was pleased by his praise.

"My mother used to tell me that story every night. I was young, but I always remembered it. I am glad to have shared it with those children."

Her expression was downcast, she knew it. Samuel reached out and laid a hand on her shoulder. They exchanged a brief smile.

"Your mother would be proud of you. We were all young, but I still remember some of the moments when I saw her. She was a very kindly, caring person - much like you are. You carry on her legacy well," Samuel said, his expression serious.

"Do you think so?"

"I know so. The kingdom is lucky to have you as our Princess - to have your whole family, in fact. I could not fault any of you."

"Thank you, Samuel. I could say the same about you," Suzanna answered.

"We are a good pair," Samuel jested. Suzanna smiled, but could not help thinking yes, yes they were. They were a very good pair indeed.

"I met Adeline today," Suzanna eventually said.

"I saw she was sitting and listening to the story. Did you talk to her?" Samuel asked. They began walking back to the castle, close, but not too close to raise comments. Suzanna wanted more than anything to be able to hold his arm or feel his embrace. But such things were risky.

"I did talk to her. She was fairly reserved."

"We found her to be the same. It is no surprise, after everything she has been through. Time will heal. Did she say much to you?"

"She only said that she does not want Caden to die for his crimes," Suzanna explained. Samuel hummed thoughtfully.

"I can understand. Once someone is your family, the bond is not easily broken - even when they hurt you."

"You are speaking of your parents?" Suzanna guessed. Samuel raised his eyebrows and gave an appreciative expression.

"Yes, despite the way they treated my sister and myself, I would not want harm to come to them. I am surprised you remember what I told you."

"I remember everything you tell me," Suzanna said honestly, for some reason feeling a blush creep to her cheeks. Samuel stopped walking and turned to give her his full attention. Suzanna's heart leapt at the tender expression on his face. The streets were quiet and no one was near them - convenient and delightful.

"That is just one of the things I love about you," he answered gently.

Just one? Suzanna wanted to ask, but she held her tongue for fear of ruining the precious moment.

"You listen - really listen - to people," Samuel continued.

"When I am not speaking too much," Suzanna joked, mostly because her heart was racing and she was sure she was about to lose her breath.